Great pro-film article

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

Agree. I love film. How I use motion imaging to support what I do means I really dont get extra money to shoot. So now that I have a ton of ENG gear I shoot that. However it was a tricky trap. I bought my first used Sony BVW to shoot interviews and sports or scenes where I had to roll for long periods and may not use any of it. Film stock was eating me alive. But the path just to get to where I am now with ENG gear was a tremendous amount of self training, mounds of gear and lots of frustration. I have a lot of stills gear. Film is cheap to shoot in stills. Med format film smokes digital capture. Id rather shoot film. Motion film is not cheap. Basically for a simple shoot your talking 3x the film stock retail cost to have useable basic scans to edit. And it has a learning curve. I get why the newer generations of photographers like digital... its a comfort zone. And if they already have a 7d or the like for school theres prob little chance they will venture too far away. But my ENG gear is sooooo complicated and I dont use 30% of its capabilty. I even pull the motor drives off the lenses and make little friction stops to make the aperture ring mimic what I'm used to in film lenses. I pick up a film motion camera and love the simplicity. Love the viewfinders. Love the weight. Hate batteries. I will probably rig an anton bauer setup for my next film rig. I am thinking its time for a super 16 aaton. Walking around with that and a pocket audio recorder is bliss.

Anybody want to trade one for 3 sony bvw's, field decks, monitor, edit deck, teranex xantus, 26pin cables etc etc etc? ....Didnt think so.

Edited by steve waschka
  • Upvote 1