first try hand processing

David Dvorchak

First shot at hand-processing Super 8 film in a darkroom. I develop 35mm Tri-X still film all the the time there, so I thought "why not" and basically just repeated the process with Super 8. Came out better than I was expecting (actually, I was just thrilled to have an image at all). Crappy off-the-wall telecine is not so hot.

Looks great, what'd you use for developer and for how long? I'm assuming you just did "spaghetti" style in a tank?

I used Sprint Systems Standard Developer (they supply all our darkroom chemistry) for 10 minutes, agitating for the first minute and then for 5 seconds every 30 seconds after that. Though I seem to be reading that I might not need to develop for that long, I just went with what I normally do. Stop, fix, fixer remover, wash. Yes, I crammed it all in a Paterson 5 reel tank! Processed to negative though I want to learn the reversal process soon.

Nice! I'm assuming based on the white edges that you processed as a negative and and inverted digitally?

Yes, I want to get it properly telecined (I have another reel from this, too) but was too impatient to wait for that!

Thanks!

Edited by David Dvorchak

The Lomo tanks do Super 8, or at least I know someone that says they use one. Also Jobo (Catlabs) announced at Photokina that they have designed a Super 8 tank for the Jobo system. It's still being developed but hopefully soon. I suppose to assist all those Logmar users. Funny, I keep seeing signs that we're a long way from film giving up the ghost....