35mm camera for stop motion?

schnozzle

Hi all--

I'm an animator, and while I usually work on the computer I've recently hauled out my old H-16 for some film work, which has been very gratifying.

I've thought of shooting animation on a rented 35mm camera from time to time but rental packages here in Los Angeles can be quite expensive, so I'm satisfied to go back to my Bolex for stop-motion/animation work. I've noticed recently, though, that there are a couple of used 35mm models that pop up on Ebay and the like now and then--specifically the Eyemo and the Konvas--that are well within my purchasing range. My question is, though: are either of these models adaptable to single-frame work? Is anyone aware of a single-frame motor designed for them? Has anybody tried this?

My other option for buying a 35mm for single-frame appears to be the Bell & Howell 2709, which I frequently see cited as an animation workhorse because of the accuracy/stability of the film movement. It is a hand-cranked silent camera, though, so I presume some sort of additional motor is involved. These cameras appear to hover about in the $3-4,000 range which, while certainly not cheap to me, is still less than an Oxberry. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? I'd be grateful to hear about other alternatives, too.

Thanks very much!

Both the old Bell & Howell and various model Mitchell cameras have been adapted to single frame use. They have excellent movements and are highly suited for this type of work. Fries Engineering makes animation motors for these cameras. I would contact Martin Hill Enterprises about purchasing a camera. He has more Mitchell's than anyone on the planet and should be able to set you up nicely.

35mm cameras from old film recorders are another option. They turn up sometimes on eBay, I bought a 16mm Oxberry for about 700 $, 35mm models have been on sale for as little as 180 $. They do not have a standard intermittent, which means they can shoot single frame ONLY. If that's OK for you and you don't mind building a little (very simple) control hardware for the stepping motors, this could be a solution.

BTW, anybody in need of a 16mm Oxberry model? The animation project I bought it for switched to 35mm wide screen, so contact me if you want it. Great for building an animation stand or your own optical printer, the camera has a 400 ft magazine and might be converted to Super 16 because it works with stationary register pins. Price is US $ 300 with a Nikon lens, but shipping outside of Europe may not be cheap. $ 200 if you pick it up here in Frankfurt/Germany ;)

BTW, anybody in need of a 16mm Oxberry model?

$300 is quite nice when you look at all the wonderful engineering that's gone into these mechanical beauties. But I know of three of these currently gathering dust at films schools here in NYC. No one seems to bother with them anymore, although I created some lovely multipass credit sequences with them in the past.

If I could pick up a 35mm Oxberry for so little I'd get it for sure. As long as they're in good shape (they do require qualified care), and you have a good table with calibrated geared movements, it's really a great camera. I've shot titles on it as well.

The movement is a precision shuttle which is used by film scanners and film recorders.

- G.

BTW, anybody in need of a 16mm Oxberry model?

Christian, I would absolutely buy it if I didn't have to deal with shipping issues from Germany. But thank you for the Oxberry suggestion, I forgot that the cameras themselves sometimes leave their stands. I will certainly think about that one, and if anyone knows of one (16 or 35) gathering dust somewhere, please do let me know...

16mm Oxberrys gathering dust at Columbia University, NYU (last I checked several years ago) and at the New York Film Academy main office in NYC (saw that one last week with boxes stacked on it). NYFA might just give it to you to get it out of the way.

Now that I recall, back at school I was told there was only one qualified Oxberry repairman in all of Los Angeles and that he was retiring soon...and that was a couple of years ago. Maybe an old Oxberry's not such a good idea after all...

It's really a very fine machine and with that comes fine maintanance. I remember at NYU we had one and the teacher (who was also a camera engineer) used to fix it all the time. There are focusing cams and other things that have to be set correctly, not to mention the table itself. If an Oxberry's going so cheap, I can't imagine it's been kept in good shape.

- G.

I think there's a big difference between older Oxberry equipped with a classic shuttle movement and some film recorder cameras which are of simpler design. The transport mechanism in the 16mm model I mentioned has so few mechanical parts that I cannot imagine that service should be a problem. I suppose they kept it simple because it did not have to run anything but single frame while other animation cameras like Crass or Debrie can run at different frame rates. Anyway, I think I'll revive the thing and donate it to a some kid film workshop guys who borrow my Krasnojark 16mm once a year - animation through spring power...