AMIRA - The different "LOOKS"

Philipp Kunzli

Hey everybody

I'm in preproduction for a documentary we start shooting next week and I'm quite excited since I'm going to work with the Amira. I'm used to work with the Alexa and always felt comfortable making the decision if we shoot Log-C or REC709

Now with the Amira one has the choice between Log-C or "LOOK"

In the Look submenu one can now select between REC709, Vibrant, Commercial, LCC and so on...

I assume the idea behind is, since the Amira is more a single user documentary Camera, while shooting you pick already the Look you aim for. With the goal to avoid color correction in post.

But to me it kind of doesn't make sense. If I shoot Log-C and add in post the LCC converter Look plug in … et voila, it looks exactly the same…

So way giving up the "safety" of having the full dynamic range?

Do I misunderstand something?

(I'm coming for the point where production said that they only like to have some little color correction, if there is something in-between Log-C and REC709…

It looks like LCC is something in-between but since I figured out the situation with the Look Converter from Log-C It seams a waste of Dynamic range)

Thank you for your thoughts...

Philipp

post-38795-0-31112500-1412879851_thumb.jpg

post-38795-0-15617000-1412879866_thumb.jpg

post-38795-0-30480500-1412879880_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

The burned-in Looks are for productions that don't have the time, budget, or expertise for post color correction. Not everyone wants to deal with transcoding and LUTs.

I worked on a local news broadcast spot once where we shot Alexa in Rec.709 Prores LT. Seemed a little silly to me but the client was happy.

• Premium Member

LLC is a low contrast Rec.709 image that has more information for color-correction than standard Rec.709 --- Log-C isn't the same thing, LLC should be more like Sony Hypergamma versus Sony S-Log. I doubt that LLC puts the white square on an 11-step chip chart at 65% like Log-C does -- looks more like 70% or more. Black level also looks less lifted than Log-C.