What's the business model behind a web show like Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee?

Yash Lucid

Has anybody watched Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee? It's amazing. Jerry Seinfeld does casual interviews over a drive and coffee with other comedians.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

My question is...what's the business model behind it? How is it funded? Who makes the money?

Usually the money comes from the network you sell it to but this is a web show, your distribution network is...the website.

It says "Brought to you by Acura" and we know Jerry did an awesome Acura superbowl commercial, but why would they sponsor this? They ONLY have their logo at the end for 3 seconds. Is that pretty much it? That's all they need for brand association with Jerry Seinfeld and other celebs?

Or is there more I am not seeing?

Would love to know! Let's discuss.

Crackle is the distributor and plays the "studio"

sponsorship dollars are generally based on viewership and it is not an exact science although lots of companies are in the bussiness of trying to make it a science. You'd have to see the viewing stats to make a call on this but you know if 100,000 people view it that is not bad. although small compared to tv obviously.

with a star like jerry seinfeld and the fact the show costs very little to produce and I'm sure he doesn't need a ton of money to make it happen and I'm sure at this point seinfeld is not looking to make a lot of money anyways so it worked out....I would assum the show was seinfelds Idea and something he just wanted to do and he was just looking for someone to cover the cost of it and throw him a bit on top.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I saw Jerry Seinfeld interviewed by David Letterman, and he asked the same question. I think Seinfeld stated that his show was aimed at cell phone commuters. Something they could watch going to and from work and lunch. There may be an ad app associated with it for monitization.

Here it is;