Solaris

To direct and dp? Is it ego maniacy or just another avenue to travel? The more I watch Solaris the more impressed I am with this guy's potential. Ok, Ok, I know he's working with the best Gaffers, Production Desginers, Lighting and Camera crew money can buy, but his work on Solaris still demands some respect. He seemed to get so close to re-creating what his mind envisioned, without quite going over the top in terms of style.

I was particularly struck by the dream scenes, when he is back on earth. The whole world seems to have this golden, surreal tone to it? It's so soft and warm compared to the clinical, harsh cold of space.

Has anyone got an idea of what filters or lighting techniques can be used to create this golden effect, its unlike anything I've seen? (Except for the Apocalypse Now Climax perhaps) I've experimented in depth with CTO and straw gels, but the skin tones always seem to take on a bit of a sickly orange hue.

Post up your work, experiments and ideas! :lol:

• Premium Member

one of the pitfalls of seeking to re-create certain looks obtained in multi-million dollar productions is that if you don't also have multi-millions to spend it's not so easy. however, the short and overly simplistic answer to your question about how to get that look- spend a few hundred bucks an hour with a gifted colorist and you'll learn real fast how many of the images we find beautiful are achieved.

f