bright daylight

Rolfe Klement

I have to shoot some close ups of people in bright daylight and was wondering if my approach is good

Shoot on 5246, 6x6 diffusion above, 4x4 white bounce board bouncing back into face: promist 1

My questions are - is this a good way - without having to use HMI bounce, should I go to Tungsten and 85 it - or should I use another stock, finally for beauty should I use white or black promist

Any other general ideas

thanks

Rolfe

Dear friend,

The best time to shoot the closeups in day light is between 8:00 to 10:30 in the morning and 3:00 to 5:30 in the evening because during this time we will get angular and glory sunshine. Best is to diffuse this light so it look we soft to the close ups. I always use this time to shoot on day light. If to shoot very warm close ups shoot early morning and after 5 with bounce card as fill.

L.K.Keerthibasu

Hi,

Personally this is what I try do when I have to shoot a beauty close up at midday.

I try to cheat the subject into whatever backlight there is, shoot on a slightly longer focal length lens (65, 75, 85, 100 mm, whatever), put in an ND filter, or change the shuttter angle, to defocus the background, use an off white card as fill (just to iron out the shadows) and perhaps a soft refelctor from the back to give the hair a little glow. Perhaps a little slow motion (28, 32 fps) For classic beauty perhaps a domestic fan to blow the hair a little!

I shoot on any film stock, whatever is available in the truck! (I dare anyone to point out to me the difference between 45 and 46 or any of todays film stocks for that matter)

With regards to diffusion, I find the Classic Softs are effective for ironing out skin blemishes. Or, if you are able to go to the transfer, add diffusion in in post.

mb