Anamorphic Mattebox?

Guest asiapacpro

Guest asiapacpro

As near as I can determine, the only mattebox that will work with the DVX100 Anamorphic adapter is the Chrosziel 411-53PK. But that thing costs nearly as much as the camera and that's without filters!!! Anyone know where I might pick up a used one? Anyone know if there are others that will work at less cost?

Cheers.

Greetings,

Perhaps ebay, but use caution. The Chrosziel is the only one that will work "out-of-the-box" with the anamorphic adapter. Of course you could use an Arri or perhaps something from JBKcinequipt, but either is going to cost considerably more than the Chrosziel. Cavision has a new 4x5 mattebox available, but it's likely to cost about the same.

You could always rent whatever you need for considerably less.

-Tim

Apparently Cinetactics makes a Matte that is compatible with the DVX Anamorphic:

http://cinetactics.com/k-mba.php

...however, I've not used their product and although I've read a few posts about the Cinetactics product here, at dvinfo.net ,and dvxuser.com, I've yet to feel as though I would go this route...

For a non-anamorphic Matte, at a 'non-break-the-bank' price point, I'm looking to perhaps go with the Formatt FM-500

Edited by Shawn Murphy

I own a cinetactics matte box (the non-anamorphic version, however)...and it's great for what you pay. That said, it's about half price of what you generally pay for a matte box - so you do the math and figure if it's worth it for you.

• 2 months later...

I tried the Cinetactics mb100mmatte box with my JVC GY-DV500 and Fuji 20x6.4 lens. I think it's a neat idea but I found it dissapointing for several reasons:

While specified to fit my 72mm lens diameter, the web-strapped shade regularly "squeezed" off the front.

The filter sleeves were pretty rough on my resin filters. It's a very tight fit.

Vignetting was a big issue. The filters were positioned within the shade rather than behind it between shade and lens. Rotating the filter was impossible since you have to essentially tear it off the front of the matte box and re-seat it.

I like the concept of a light-weight sun shade but I can get that stock with the lens. The Cinetactics products are a neat idea in need of some refinements. I look forward to seeing future versions.

Edited by Michael Morlan