Chinon Pacific camera repair?

Timothy Gassen

Hi all,

For years I've gotten great results with a couple Chinon Pacific 12SMR Super-8 cameras. Negative super-8 stock transferred to video is fabulous with them, and reversal B&W is some of my favorite shot...

But these guys are now at least 25 years old, and this past year the shutters started to stutter, then fire intermittently, then stop altogether. These things have never been serviced, so perhaps its just a lubrication maintenance issue, or a belt, or...?

Anyway, does anyone know where I can seek repair for them?

Also, if they are a lost cause and I need to seek a replacement -- does anyone have opinions about the BEAULIEU 6008 PRO camera? What price range should it be in if it has crystal sync? Any other similar cams worth hunting for?

Sorry for all the questions on my very first post! ;)

Thanks for any help!

Not sure where you are located, but, Spectra Film & Video in N. Hollywood also repairs cameras as well.  They did a good job on my Canon 814 electronic.

Many thanks for the repair leads, everyone. I should mention that I'm in Arizona, so West Coast repair options seem more feasible...although I don't think I have much choice! If I can find ANYONE to repair these Chinons I will be amazed...

Thanks for any other leads, or advice on the relative worth of a BEAULIEU 6008 PRO...

Thanks for any other leads, or advice on the relative worth of a BEAULIEU 6008 PRO...

It depends on what lens it comes with. Typically, they go with Schneider 6-70mm. You are looking at $400-$800. This is a wide range because it can be crazy in eBay. It has some kind of biorythm. About 2 years ago, some were selling for under $300. You will lucky if you buy it at the bottom. Make sure you get the one with 24fps crystal sync module. If you get it in Europe, it will likely be 25fps but it's your choice, of course.

It depends on what lens it comes with.  Typically, they go with Schneider 6-70mm.  You are looking at $400-$800.  This is a wide range because it can be crazy in eBay.  It has some kind of biorythm.  About 2 years ago, some were selling for under $300.  You will lucky if you buy it at the bottom.  Make sure you get the one with 24fps crystal sync module.  If you get it in Europe, it will likely be 25fps but it's your choice, of course.

Yes, the selling/buying trends on eBay can be bizarre! But $300 seems very low for this camera by any means!

BTW, I thought the crystal sync card allowed the user to select 24 or 25fps? For these cams are there different kinds of sync/constant frame rate cards or modules?

BTW, I thought the crystal sync card allowed the user to select 24 or 25fps? For these cams are there different kinds of sync/constant frame rate cards or modules?
Yes there are. The switchable 24/25fps is not crystal sync. The crystal sync modules are unique for 24fps or 25fps.

Yes there are. The switchable 24/25fps is not crystal sync.  The crystal sync modules are unique for 24fps or 25fps.

Ahh, now I see in a manual that while the user can pick either 24 or 25 fps, only one of those can be the crystal sync speed -- and that is determined by which version of the card you have.

Can 25fps be transferred via telecine to NTSC, or can it only go to PAL? I see the 25fps crystal cams more often on eBay, but not the 24fps versions...

I'm veering from my first intent, though, which was to get at least one of my Chinon Pacific 12SMRs running again! :lol:

Thanks again for everyone's help!