Digital Still Cameras

I am about to start a long stint at film school as a cinematographer. I thought it would be wise to purchase a digital still camera as a way to record and archive my lighting and shooting excercies and as a way to take stills on the set to be corrected via computer and sent to the lab to better communicate my ideas for the timing of dailies and so on. I am curious if you have any suggestions, experiences, and critiques about various cameras? What should I look for in a good digital still? What should I be cautious about? Thanks.

• Premium Member
I am about to start a long stint at film school as a cinematographer.  I thought it would be wise to purchase a digital still camera as a way to record and archive my lighting and shooting excercies and as a way to take stills on the set to be corrected via computer and sent to the lab to better communicate my ideas for the timing of dailies and so on.  I am curious if you have any suggestions, experiences, and critiques about various cameras?  What should I look for in a good digital still?  What should I be cautious about?  Thanks.

For personal use, the Kodak digital cameras are modestly priced. I have a DX-6490, which has manual setting capability, which is a feature you should look for. The Z7590 is very full featured, for well under $500:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jht...pq-locale=en_US

Your school may use the Kodak Look Manager System in the future:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.16&lc=en

What should I look for in a good digital still?  What should I be cautious about?  Thanks.

For a better looking picture, get a camera with a larger sensor, it will capture more lattitude - clip less. Stay away from the most expensive cutting edge ($2k+) stuff because it will go outdated and you're not using it professionally. You can get a good sensor sized camera for under $900.

The Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon equivalent (D50 or D70) to it are good contenders - but the technology is constantly changing - check out www.dpreview.com - it is a much heralded resouce.

I'm totally unfamiliar with the Kodak one - it might be amazing, check the reviews.

Edited by Mark Douglas

"For personal use, the Kodak digital cameras are modestly priced. I have a DX-6490, which has manual setting capability, which is a feature you should look for. The Z7590 is very full featured, for well under $500:"

Hmmmm, sounds like some sort of unbiased personal opinion :D

R.

• Premium Member
"For personal use, the Kodak digital cameras are modestly priced. I have a DX-6490, which has manual setting capability, which is a feature you should look for. The Z7590 is very full featured, for well under $500:"

Hmmmm, sounds like some sort of unbiased personal opinion  :D

R.

I own a DX-6490, and Kodak didn't give it to me. It's a good full-featured camera for the price.