light for a small area

jon w

hello all,

shooting an ultra low/no budget music video this weekend, it was just thrown at me, so i have zero prep time.

just saw the location we have to shoot in, basment suite rectange area about 40 feet by 20ish feet with 7 foot high celings, no useful windows, yikes!

the singer has 9 backup dancers, they all dance as couples, so its more like 4 single people spread out behind the main singer.

the problem is that with the wide shots, everything (celings) will be in frame...

ive sugested we use backlit chinese dividers behind for some seperation, lighting will be soft, but somehwhat lowkey (night).

so i need a soft light source that will travel some distance, and im figuring kinos wont travel that far... i thought a big frame of diffusion further back with a larger source, but im worried that if i get it far enough back to get a decent fall off, i'll be fighting with camera shadows...

any thoughts, bouncing light of foamcore on the celing?

i dont want this to look like a sitcom...

shooting on fugi 250T 16mm/35mm

• Premium Member

If you keep your idea of a soft source for the key but have backlight sort of effects (maybe colored) coming from the sides as far back as you can and work low key, it might kill the sitcom look may be ?

Edited by laurent.a

ya, the problem with any kind of backlight is the size of the room / low celings.

in a wide shot the camera will see the walls and celings. :(

thats why the chinese dividers, backlit...

• Premium Member

Jon,

The lights are going to be in the shot. That's OK, just spend your limited time finding something that looks appropriate on camera and helps you light the musicians and dancers. Good luck, JT