One of the greatest films of all time, Sunrise (1927), was part of one of the greatest tragedies of DVD marketing. Fox, that bastion of free thought and free commerce, restored Sunrise and placed it on a limited edition DVD. They only way you could get it was by buying three other Fox Studio Classic DVDs and sending away for your free copy of Sunrise. That offer has since been rescinded and I'm sorry to say not even the rental giants of Netflix and Blockbuster carry it.

I'm curious to know if anyone here shelled out the cash to get it? I was working at the time so I did. It was worth it, but I think it's high time Fox put this film on the market for actual retail. But what can we do? Anyone who has seen Sunrise can attest to its beauty. It truly remains the high point of silent cinema and visual storytelling. I think it is a crime to keep this film out of stores and out of your DVD library.

Edited by jamerikaner

I wish. Someone at Fox probably determined there wasn't a market for the film. It makes me wonder why they bothered with it at all? I had to buy three other Fox Classics to get my copy. Not a big deal, because they are all wonderful films. I just wish they would make Sunrise available to all. I'm also curious to people's thoughts on the film. In my opinion, it?s the greatest American silent film still in existence, one of the best silent films ever made, and one of the greatest films of all time.

yea i bought the box set of the fox studio classics for around 30 which gave me three films and sunrise.  i thought it was a great deal.  i love the commentray track on the film as well.

If it was Criterion it would cost around 30 for just "Sunrise" right ?

(I love Criteron's mastering don't get me wrong).

Agree on the film's greatness.

-Sam