Nikon R10 Focus Issue

Matthew Steindl

Hello,

I am new to the forums but I have visited numerous times in the past. I just recently purchased a Nikon R10. When I look through the viewfinder I can only focus when I zoom all the way in. When I zoom out everything is out of focus. I read on other topics about this issue being resolved by switching in or out of macro mode. However, I tried this and it is still out of focus.

The eyepiece seems to be a little loose and when I point the camera straight up or down I can see the actual eyepiece glass moving. Also, when I try adjusting the eyesight adjustment piece nothing seems to happen (which makes me think this function is broken). None of this information was provided to me before I purchased the camera off Ebay. I am wondering if I should return the camera or if it would be worth sending it in to get repaired/looked at. I guess my question would be has anyone ever had the eyepiece replaced? and does anyone know how to remove the eye piece? so I can get a better look at it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edited by Matthew Steindl

From what you describe, it certainly sounds like a problem with the eyepiece adjustment. It sounds like the diopter lens is loose and rattling around freely in there, when it should remain in place and only moved when the diopter adjustment is used. It is absolutely a critical component of focusing and would explain your issues.

Now, I've never opened an R10, myself. Mine is working fine for now (knock on wood), but I would imagine that repairing the diopter would be one of the easier repairs to make. I've done it on other cameras. It just depends how the mechanism works and what, if any, parts are broken.

It's up to you whether you want to return or repair it.But if you want to test the camera functionality, you can still shoot with it! Just set the focus based on distance measurements for now and shoot a roll. When you get it back, you can see if everything else is functional and then decide whether or not you want to return or repair it.

Thank you for the feedback, Josh! I figured it must be the eyepiece that is causing the issue. Do you know any reptuable repair facilities that work on Nikon's still? I just sent Pro8mm an email but I'm not sure if they work on Nikon's.

I'm pretty sure Pro8 does not do Nikons. Just Canons and Beaulieus, I think. There was a thread on here recently of someone asking about R10 repairs, but I don't think anyone could come up with a name for anybody who does it. Which sucks. I'm not sure what I'll do when mine stops working. I can't even find a repair manual anywhere! I do seem to recall that all the screws are located under the leatherette covering, which I think is next to impossible not to destroy when peeling it up. But of course I've never tried.

Hopefully someone else will have some more information for you. Sorry I couldn't help more. The Nikon's one of the few cameras I've never had to open up.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you don't just have the macro function enabled? That would be one reason why you're only able to focus upclose. I'm not sure what's going on with the eyepiece moving though. I just bought this camera as well.

To bring it out of macro you pull the zoom lever backwards (which has to be first set at 60mm or below).

Edited by Derek Kneisley