Petition against Production Stop of Kodachrome 40

Guest filmfreund

Guest filmfreund

Up to now, the signers represent the amount of 13472 Kodachrome 40 cartridges per year! We already tested the new Ektachrome 64T and compared it to Kodachrome 40 scences. Details in the first issue of small format.

www.smallformat.de

Up to now, the signers represent the amount of 13472 Kodachrome 40 cartridges per year! We already tested the new Ektachrome 64T and compared it to Kodachrome 40 scences. Details in the first issue of small format.

www.smallformat.de

Sounds like a nice demand for a small manufacturer that would sell by direct order, but not enough for a giant like Kodak. It someone bought Kodachrome technology and manufactured 8mm,16mm,35mm still,120 and 220 roll film and 4x5 sheet films in small amount and perhapse sold over on-line ordering, Kodachrome would live long into the future.

By the way, is the comparison between Kodachrome 40 and 64T available on-line?

• Premium Member
Yes, I don't get it either -- who in the world picking Super-8 as a learning tool as a beginner filmmaker would want to START with an automatic (only) exposure camera? The FIRST thing I did when I started out as a teenager shooting in Super-8 was finding a camera that allowed manual exposure adjustments. I mean, even as a teenager, I knew enough to know that it was critical in good photography to control exposure creatively.

Forget simply getting the "correct" exposure -- what about creative over and underexposure?  I wanted to do all of those things from my first little film onwards -- it's  not some technique you decide to learn at a later more advanced stage. Exposure is one of the FIRST things anyone needs to learn when using a camera!  Who, being serious to start learning to make films, would pick a camera that exposed every shot "normally" with no ability to adjust it? It would be next to worthless.  You couldn't do a fake moonlight shot or creative silhouettes, etc.

I completely agree with the above statement.

I think however, automatic metering serves an additional purpose in the year 2005. Automatic metering is a form of babysitting for film first timers who are going it alone and can't count on learning from their friends also shooting super-8.

To the first timer going it alone, any super-8 film image is better than no image, but only as a first step. Hopefully, after the first batch of film shot in automatic comes back, the training wheels do come off and from then on it's manual exposure most if not all of the time.

Hi,

could somebody tell me how much you have to pay for

-a 100ft. roll of Kodachrome 40, 16mm

-a Super 8 cartridge of Kodachrome K 40?

I used this material a few years ago but then the costs for it in Germany have risen incredibly up and now it's almost unpayable for me.

Once I got a Super 8 cartridge for 11,- Euro, now I have to pay more than 20 Euro!

Best regards from Munich,

Cotton

Guest filmfreund

You should look for a more reasonable dealer. In Germany, for example, www.wittner-kinotechnik.de sells the K40 S8 cartridge for 16.40 Euro.

Juergen Lossau

www.smallformat.de

• 2 weeks later...
Guest filmfreund

As far as we know, there are 4 petitions against the production stop of K40: a French one of the organization ALICC with 270 signers, the fimshooting.com petition with far more than 1,000 signers, the internet petition http://www.petitiononline.com/k40/petition.html with 4,436 signatures and the schmalfilm petition. Up to now, the signers of "schmalfilm" (small format) represent the amount of 15014 Kodachrome 40 cartridges per year!

There are first results of those petitions. There was a meeting with French Super 8 groups with the European head of Entertainment Imaging, Thierry Perronnet. There, schmalfilm could present the results of the test, comparing K40 and E64T. The reaction of all people - they were more than disappointed. Mr. Perronnet asked for the two rolls of film to ship them to Rochester.

There will be also a talk with German representatives of Kodak on Monday. The whole company, even in Rochester, is surprised about the great protest and the negative feedback in the internet. This is no good communication strategy for Kodak.