Is it good to shoot with Flare

Steve Ford

In the Goodman's Guide I came across a reference to setting the lens flare. I was curious as to how critical that is. I have a Fujinon A20X8.6ERM-SD and don't have an 11-step gray scale chart, but if it is critical that I do, I will get one. I do have a waveform monitor.

This is the only lens I plan to put on this camera so my second question is to anyone out there in TV land that might have the same type of lens, and set up their camera differently then factory settings?

Ilike each of you, I just want to get the most bang out of each and every shot, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time or money on an adjustment that may or may not make a difference.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Steve Ford

Rock Solid

• Premium Member
In the Goodman's Guide I came across a reference to setting the lens flare. I was curious as to how critical that is. I have a Fujinon A20X8.6ERM-SD and don't have an 11-step gray scale chart, but if it is critical that I do, I will get one. I do have a waveform monitor.

This is the only lens I plan to put on this camera so my second question is to anyone out there in TV land that might have the same type of lens, and set up their camera differently then factory settings?

Ilike each of you, I just want to get the most bang out of each and every shot, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time or money on an adjustment that may or may not make a difference.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Steve Ford

Rock Solid

The flare makes alot of difference in how your blacks look. Seperate and distinct from the black balance performed with the iris capped, the flares are set with the lens irised up under current light conditions with a black reference in scene (chip chart prefered). It is also a moving target. Once you pan the camera, the flares change but starting out your scene with proper flare settings is about as good as you can do without a video operator and/or a CCU.