I'm not sure if this question belongs here but since the film is now on DVD i thought i would just put it here. i was wondering what type of lens would ahve been used for the shot when Hughes enters the Cocanut Grove. I am referring to the shot behind him where we see the lights come up and illumniate the club. He then walks away and for some reason, alteast to me, he moves quickly from camera. I figure this must have to do with the type of lens or maybe i'm just tricking myself. anyone have any info on this? how is this achieved? and what is the purpose? also, what is the purpose behind the way the light functoins in this scene?

thanks

• Premium Member

I seem to recall that was a speed ramp (mid-shot change in frame rate). I don't recall anything unusual about the lens used. The lights fading up create a surreal feeling while also suggesting a certain theatricality to his life, like he's on stage.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed a lot of split-focus elements, even a prismatic essence to some shots, as if they were shooting through an image splitter, particularly when in the scenes with KH.

I'm blown away, I just finished watching it. I want to make pieces so beautiful!