Fogal Stockings

I've read a few articles on using Fogal stockings behind the lens. I believe Peter Deming uses them a lot on the films he photographs. I know Fogal is a name brand of stockings, but is there something special about this specific brand? Is there a specific type or color? (I assume a skin tone color).

John G.

I use either Christian Dior black stockings or Fogal Nude (caucasian flesh tone) stockings. The patterning of the netting is unique to these two brands and they do not contain the Lycra or fire-retardents that give a shine to other brands. If you call the Fogal office in NYC and tell them you need stockings for photographic purposes, they'll forward you to the woman who always sells to the industry. She knows exactly what you want--usually nude in Queen-size (same price for more material).

Hey, thanks for the terrific info. How about using them behind the lens? I know they make add-on rings (can't remember the manufacturer) for behind the lens placement, but I assume most people just twist the lens in on top of the stocking. When using the latter method, do you need to stretch the stocking out a certain amount? A lot, a little? Basically, what is the best method in using this method?

John G.

I prefer to use the I-Ring, the item you referred to, which only costs about $20. But others have glued the stockings in place or stretched them over the back of the lens with a rubber band. The amount of stretch of the material will alter the effect. This is something you can adjust by eye--that is your eye looking at a good monitor.

I assume most people just twist the lens in on top of the stocking.

The twist the lens in thing sort of scares me. I?m not sure what you are saying. You have to be very careful applying a net to the rear element. You don?t want stray runs or fibers to screw up your image or catch in the mirror. Putting a net on the rear is really a two person job. One person stretches the net and the other person positions it and attaches it. Many folks use snot tape to stick the net on. I usually use double stick scotch tape as a base and then a small rubber band to hold it down. After carefully trimming I give it a gentle blast of air to clean off remnants. This works well with lenses that have a metal collar before the last element making it pretty easy to stretch a net over it. On lenses where the rear element is flush with the rear of the lens snot tape is a good solution. I-rings work great, I own six, but they only fit a few lenses. You can make your own by finding a plastic tube that fits over the rear element and clears the mirror. It comes down to luck and perseverance whether you find a match. 35mm still film canisters sometimes fit.

If you are looking for a fun way to spend a day spend the first half in the ladies lingerie department staring at people through ladies queen sized stockings. Then after security politely asks you to leave go to the hardware store with your lens and stand there trying to put pipe fitting on your rear element. Often times people will ask you if you need help.