PL Lenses for Super 16mm

Guest Richard Eisenstein

Guest rickeisenstein

I have an Eclair NPR that I have recently converted to Super 16mm with a Arri PL mount. My question is can I use lenses for a 35mm camera using the PL mount or is it a different size PL mount?

Hi,

It's the same size PL mount whether it's 35 or 16. However, the image size that a lens gives you on a 35 mm camera will be wider than the same lens on a 16 or Super 16. You can use non PL mount lenses on your camera as well with an adapter which will make available to you a whole arsenal of less expensive non PL mount lenses. It was a smart move converting your camera because you now can use so many different lenses whereas before you were a bit limited.

Jim

Guest rickeisenstein

Thanks Jim. When you say that 35mm lenses will render wider images, what does this wider image look like? Will the edges be cut off and will I be able to see this difference in image in my viewfinder?

• Premium Member

The same focal length gives a wider angle view in 35mm than it does in Super-16 (or to put it another way, the same lens looks more telephoto in Super-16). Therefore you'll need shorter focal lengths than you would normally use in 35mm to get wide-angle shots in Super-16.

Guest rickeisenstein

I am very excited about trying out new and different lenses on my camera.