virgin suicides

hello,

despite my search (maybe i do it the wrong way) i cannot find info about the cinematography in "the virgin suicides".

the cinematography by mr ed lachman always astonished me.

i think i recalled he shoot it with cooke S4. but i am not quite really sure.

anyone has info about the technical recipe he used for the movie : what combination of lenses, stocks , filters ?

the softness, the roudness, the magical light that occurs in the majority of frames is beautiful.

the tone and colors used in the props, wardrobe and prduction design helps a lot the cinematography too.

i love the kind of sensibility you feel watching this movie. as a cinematographer, i hope some day i could communicate as well such subtle intentions.

thanks.

thomas

Was that the movie where the girls killed thereselves??? Hmmm, OK movie, can't say I care for the plot much.

Really, I didn't find it all that nice looking of a film. It was not glossy by any means, it was gritty and grainy (Which fits the story of the 70's). I also thought lighting was fairly flat. It has been a while since I watched it though, one late night HBO showing.

My local library has it, but for some reason I feel kind stupid checking out a film called "the virgin suicides". :rolleyes: :lol: :huh: :blink:

Maybe I just forgot it after having not seen it for so long, but I still remeber bits of it, and from what I remember, it was fairly gritty and grainy at least. Very much like the film stocks of the 70's where.

I can't say I cared for the story that much either. I dont think Sofia Coppola is near as good a director as her dad Francis Ford Coppola. The story was missing in some area's of the film.

I will say this about it though: After watching it, it's one of those films that gives you a weird feeling. I can't really point the reason out, It's just one of those films. That feeling like "I'll never be happy again". At least it does to me! :blink: :ph34r:

My opinionated (I think thats how you spell it?) rating is B- on story and B on Cinematography.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

hello,

too bad you didn't like it. strange how the taste goes.

and maybe you are talking about a completely different movie (or maybe you felt the movie the way you did...). strange !

"virgin suicides" is everything but grainy and gritty. it has tone and colors in certains scenes that gives a "sick" feeling : one of the last sequences toward the end, a costumed party taking place in a strange, moody, sick green tint lighting.

but otherwise, the pictures are sweet as a late afternoon in a hot summer day. golden light, warm tint, beautiful sparkles in the eyes and "delicious" skin tones. the film is all about memories and how you remember things even if it's the darker ones. memory tricks you.

the image on dvd in certainly not grainy at all. and i don't remember any obvious grain on the print i saw when it was released.

thomas