Need some help with camcorder buying

Mariano Nante

Hi you all,

I'm planning to start making some independent short films, and I'm a bit puzzled about which camcorder to buy.

If I had to buy one right now, I'd buy Sony's Vx-2100, which I can get for about $2000.

Is this a good buy? Could you suggest any other options in the same price range?

Very good video quality and portability are very important to me.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Mariano Nante

The VX2100 and Pd170 are basically the same camera ccd and lens wise. Both have great low light capability but don't focus in manual mode easily. The Panasonic DVX100 has a better lens with numbers to help you know where you are in focal range. Add 24p film frame rate with adjustable gamma (makes the video have a more film like contrast) I think that might be the best camera for you and you can pick up one used for around $2000. The sonys have better low light for doc work but for a feature you need to budget at least 3 descent lights. Lights will make the biggest difference on your interiors. Get a reflector to fill in shadows on your outside shots. And finally the DVX has better audio too. You have the professional xlr mic inputs where the VX2100 has the consumer 1/8" jacks that are famous for noise. Go for the DVX100!

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50...ftbd.1@.3bb40c6

Hi you all,

I'm planning to start making some independent short films, and I'm a bit puzzled about which camcorder to buy.

If I had to buy one right now, I'd buy Sony's Vx-2100, which I can get for about $2000.

Is this a good buy? Could you suggest any other options in the same price range?

Very good video quality and portability are very important to me.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Mariano Nante