black and white films stocks

Ok, it is a question that you probably saw an hundred time...but I need some opinion here. I'm interested in shooting a black and white super16 mm film soon, and I need some advice on black and white film stock. The movie gonna go on telecine and finish on DVCAM I guess.

1- First, what film stock, from your opinions will give me the most "clean" picture? I already work with 7222 from kodak, quitte good film stock, but I'm asking what you think about this film and other black and white stocks.

2- Wich film would you consider as the finer grain?

3- Wich film would you consider as the more contrasty?

4- Wich film would you consider as the film having the most latitude?

5- What about other company than Kodak!? Im searching, but Ilford seems out of business, is there other option. Agfa? What you think?

Also, maybe you have some still shot of film stock as example.

Thank, I guess it is more a survey of opinion...but it may help me a lot. :D

• Premium Member

Well, the only other Kodak b&w negative stock is Plus-X, which is finer-grained and slightly more contrasty.

But if you aren't worried about a lot of contrast, not much exposure latitude, and a fairly slow speed, then Plus-X b&w reversal would get you a "cleaner" looking movie, finer-grained and sharper than b&w negative.

If you want fine grain AND a lot of exposure latitude, you're better off shooting color negative and removing the color in the video transfer. All of the color negative stocks will look finer-grained than Double-X, even 500T.