FS700 + Odyssey 7Q + Wireless Video Transmission

Daniel Meier

Hi!

We want to shoot a music video on a FS700 + Steadicam using the Odessey 7Q to record a cleaner signal.

To reduce weight on the steadicam we want to leave the Odessey off of it and give it in the focus puller's hands.

Is it possible to feed the 7Q with an HD-SDI signal coming from the FS 700 but going through a wireless video transmission system first (Teradek Bolt Pro)

and then still maintain the RAW recording option?

I don't think so. I guess you can use it as an external monitor, connecting it with a Teradek Bolt Pro, but then it's a waste of such a good external recorder. I don't think the Teradek can transmit more than FullHD 4:2:2.

I'm just giving my personal opinion, I'm also interested in such a thing, so I'll be waiting here for someone who knows about this!

cheers man

No, this will not work.

The RAW signal is a data one, not a video signal. It does not conform to the HD video structure that the Teradek Bolt requires.

You don't mention what model Steadicam you will be using. But you can replace the monitor on the bottom of the Steadicam sled with the Odyssey7Q+ and use it as both your monitor and your recorder. The mount is on the lower back so you will need to make sure you can attach it to your Steadicam securely. The Odyssey will also output HD video generated from the 4K RAW signal so you can transmit that on a Teradek to other monitors. Be sure to use a proper 3G-SDI cable between the camera and the Steadicam, wrapping it around the post of the sled. Do not expect the cabling built into the sled to be able to carry the 4K RAW signal. Convergent Design makes Ultra-Thin lightweight #G-SDI cables and we can custom make one for you to the proper length, up to 6' (standard lengths are 18" and 36").