Aaton LTR 54 or LTR 7

Michael Struthers

An LTR 7 is cheaper, but is it worth it to step up to an LTR 54? Can you shoot synch sound with both? Handheld shots will be an essential...

thanks

The answer has been given by Abel Cine Tech's service rep. Much of the LTR7 is unrepairable, because the design was in rapid evolution, and there is no standard list of parts. He says that the LTR54 is a standard design, many parts of which are in common with the XTR series, and therefore, readily available. Some LTRs had an undersized gear that overheated, destroying the grease.

The LTR7 is a sync-sound camera, with almost exactly the same shape as an LTR54. As per above, the main problem is keeping it running.

Yeah the problem with the LTR7 will be in the maintance

It will probably cost twice as much as the LTR54 to get it serviced.

Another concern is if you're doing any overcranking/slow motion work

The LTR7 fastest speed is 32 as opposed to the LTR54 which can go up to 54fps.

However if you're just using the camera for one shoot...

And aren't really going to own it...you can use it if runs well...

It'll shoot the same image as the LTR54 and it is synch sound

And most LTR7 have already been converted to S16.

Just don't spend your money to own one...

because ultimately it'll cost you more in the long run...

Than what you think you're saving.

Good Luck

• Premium Member

More or less what they said. >8)

the LTR7 can be serviced, but at a greater cost. The camera is by no means a dinosaur, it's just an older mammal. Many parts are interchangable, but some subsystems need to be replaced entierly and retrofitted with newer subsystems (which may in turn need to be modified) in the event that an older part fails. This is where it gets expensive. I had to put a new-style claw in a 7LTR recently, which forced me to file down portions of the claw arm to clear the bascule assembly, which added a few more hours of labor to the cost of a new claw. It is also more difficult to silence the 7LTR. It can be a little louder then the 54LTR. The only thing that will completely total the camera though, beyond somehow fabricating your own (we have the schematics) is the base electronics. Once those are gone you might as well sell the rest of the body off for parts.

All in all, if you can find a well maintained body and the previous owner doesn't stick you with something already in need of major service... it can be a great little camera.

Thank you guys. I will opt for the 54 since I want to own it for a few shoots.

More or less what they said.  >8)

the LTR7 can be serviced, but at a greater cost.  The camera is by no means a dinosaur, it's just an older mammal.  Many parts are interchangable, but some subsystems need to be replaced entierly and retrofitted with newer subsystems (which may in turn need to be modified) in the event that an older part fails.  This is where it gets expensive.  I had to put a new-style claw in a 7LTR recently, which forced me to file down portions of the claw arm to clear the bascule assembly, which added a few more hours of labor to the cost of a new claw.  It is also more difficult to silence the 7LTR.  It can be a little louder then the 54LTR.  The only thing that will completely total the camera though, beyond somehow fabricating your own (we have the schematics) is the base electronics.  Once those are gone you might as well sell the rest of the body off for parts.

All in all, if you can find a well maintained body and the previous owner doesn't stick you with something already in need of major service... it can be a great little camera.