The Conjuring 2

This one really suprised me.

So, a few weeks ago, the local cinema upgraded both sound and picture. I don't really visit the cinema too often, but some films catch my eye, and I just have to see it. Today, we entered the cinema whilst the commercials were rolling, and I am happy to see that we were given good seats. In the back, but also centre screen.

Dolby Atmos demos started rolling after commercials, and while I have seen these demos in Hi-Fi shop systems before, this was something else. Very powerful and immersive. The image was also extremely detailed and full. Now, I am a big horror guy, and I really hope to make a horror some day, so I really hoped it would be good, but I didn't want to expect too much.

It really didn't take long for the movie to catch the audience. Great. And I mean great, sound. Some people were nervously laughing to cover their fear. I found myself really tense at several occations, which is a good sign in itself. The cinematography is different, and something we saw in Revenant. It's wide, and they use it to slowly reveal the environment. It was all very cold and blue, but I really like the look. I though to myself that it looked like Alexa footage, but I haven't checked IMDB yet.

One scene really impressed me. We are at the ground, and a car is passing. The camera moves at a fairly fast pace towards the top window of a house in front of us. We go through the glass window, and into the halls of the house. No cuts. The movie used the cinematography in a clever way through the movie, although it sometimes felt a bit forced. It did work though.

Storywise it was OK. What I liked more, was the way the kept suspense, and selection of the paranormal portrays. It was believable. I might call this my best cinema experience so far.

I'm not gonna try to make this an elaborate review, so I'll stop here. It is definitely worth a watch though.