Hi you all,

I'm looking forward to buying a good camcorder to film some independent short films.

If I had to choose right now, I would go for Sony's vx-2100, which I can get brand new for about $2000.

Does this cam have a good video quality? Can I produce something with that "film look"? If not, can you recommend other ones? Any information on this camcorder will be apreciated.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Mariano Nante

Buenos Aires,

Argentina

• Premium Member
Oh, I forgot to add something:

Can anyone tell me which is the difference between Sony's vx-2100 and Panasonic's DVX-100? Everyone seems to like that cam very much. Is it worth the extra dollars?

Mariano

I would say yes, it's worth the extra dollars. The Sony is a very nice camera, no doubt. Probably the only thing it will do better than the Panasonic is maybe low light recording, but even that is questionable.

The DVX100 is popular because it's trendy first of all. It does record 24Fps (more film-like) the camera is setup from the get-go for a "film-like gamma curve" which essentially stretches dynamic range and approximates the grey values that film would capture and while it's not perfect, it's probably more film-like than any other miniDV camera available today. The lens has an actual mechanical linkage for the manual ring so it's possible to do manual zooms at a variety of speeds, contrast to the Sony whose zoom ring is merely an electronic trigger that instructs a servo motor to do the actual zoom. The Panasonic in general has a few more "manual" controls over the Sony. The audio portion on the Panasonic is noticeably different since it has XLR microphone inputs and a very quiet set of pre-amps that result in clear audio. The Panasonic also costs more.. So, between the two, I would pick the Panasonic, not because it's trendy, but because categorically it's a better camera.

Hope this helps!

Brian