Specialization in Cinematography

Hi,

my name is Rohini Tekchandaney and i am from Bombay, India. i have completed a certificate course in cinematography which was a 6 month course... it was pretty in-depth and i have my basics very well in place as well as some good hands-on experience using a PD150. i am also assisting a famous DP who has shot a few films here. but, i still want to study further so that i have a much better education background and the necessary experience in this field. i have been lurking around these forums for a while and the info is very useful. i have also been checking out websites of a few universities but it isnt as helpful as i would like it to be. ive checked out Chapman's website but it doesnt show any specialization in cinematography. here's what i'm looking for, a good university which offers a specialization course... 2 or 3 year course. i'm not sure what kind of education background is required and stuff like GRE... so if anyone can help with information relating to international students, it would be great.

i have graduated with a mass media degree, specializing in advertising, which was a 3 year course plus i have the 6 month cinematography certificate (if that helps). i have one short film made on PD150, so not much of a reel... n i'm looking to hopefully get in for winter '06, if its possible. am i qualified for a graduate course? or will i have to go for an undergrad?

as u can see i am pretty much in the dark about this info... being on this side of the globe i only have access to these sites. sorry for the long post but anyone who can help, please do.

i will be visiting new york end of this month, so if anyone can suggest a few schools that i can go and check out myself, it would really help.

also if anyone can enlighten me about pixel cinematography it would be great..

thanks a bunch...

Rohini :rolleyes:

Hi Rohini. I have an aunt whose name is Rohini. I also have a friend from India Kartik Mehra who is studying Cinematography at my school.

So I'm an international student and I can help you some. It wold be easier if you or I could speak through email, so if you read this email me and I'll email you back.

In the meanwhile, what Mr. Mullen says is true: most schools do not offer a specific degree for what you refer to. However your concentration can certainly be cinematography. At my university, Howard, the Masters in Fine Arts Degree allows for such a concentration. Most fine arts, film schools and conservatory schools (like the AFI) have a greater degree of specialization and you can get catalogues which indicate the courses you will cover and things you will learn.

As for the requirements, these may change depending on the school, so I could source that information directly from schools you are interested in. All of your prior educational background does have a bearing in your acceptance and potential finacial aid or scholarship qualification and you can get these certified for the US is necessary. Again you should source this information directly from schools you are interested in.

If you need help with creating a short list of schools I can help you there as well.

So email me and I can say much more.

hi, thanks a lot for the info... i would love to get in touch with u multi-diasporic... though u didn't leave me an email address to contact u on... another thing i wanted to ask was that i want to try n get in to the jan'06 semester. will that be possible? do schools do that? i was hoping my previous course and work experience might help me there. thanks a ton for any help i get...

rohini

hi, thanks a lot for the info... i would love to get in touch with u multi-diasporic... though u didn't leave me an email address to contact u on... another thing i wanted to ask was that i want to try n get in to the jan'06 semester. will that be possible? do schools do that? i was hoping my previous course and work experience might help me there. thanks a ton for any help i get...

rohini

First of all Why are you trying your studies in abroad? I think that Film and T.V Institute of India, Pune is a Film school with International standard. I Don"t want to mention this,because most of the outstanding DPs and Directors are form this Institute. I think there is no difference between aboard film school and Indian film schools because in both you are going to study the same art and techniques. Even though if you study in abroad the only thing will make you different from other DPs is your personel creativity and presentation.

Good Luck.

L.K.Keerthibasu

First of all Why are you trying your studies in abroad? I think that Film and T.V Institute of India, Pune is a Film school with International standard. I Don"t want to mention this,because most of the outstanding DPs and Directors are form this Institute.  I think there is no difference between aboard film school and Indian film schools because in both you are going to study the same art and techniques.  Even though if you study in abroad the only thing will make you  different from other  DPs is your personel creativity and presentation.

Good Luck.

L.K.Keerthibasu

HI... thanks for the reply... i actually want to go to pune... that is my first preference. ive given the entrance test (in which i think i fared pretty well) and now im waiting for the shortlist to come out for the interviews, which i just found out has been postponed to july/august since the current year isnt over yet. if i get in there (and im sure u know how tough it is), then nothing like it. my plan to study abroad is a backup plan in case ftii doesnt work out. and since i am making a visit to the US soon, i can visit a few schools to check them out.

what about u? r u a DP or a student? if u dont mind me asking about your background... thanks

rohini

HI... thanks for the reply... i actually want to go to pune... that is my first preference. ive given the entrance test (in which i think i fared pretty well) and now im waiting for the shortlist to come out for the interviews, which i just found out has been postponed to july/august since the current year isnt over yet. if i get in there (and im sure u know how tough it is), then nothing like it. my plan to study abroad is a backup plan in case ftii doesnt work out. and since i am making a visit to the US soon, i can visit a few schools to check them out.

what about u? r u a DP or a student? if u dont mind me asking about your background... thanks

rohini

I understood. Iam a Final year student of Film and T.V Institute of Tamilnadu(FTIT),chennai. Currently Iam working as a apperentice in a Film lab and also as AC to a famous DP here. Good Luck, I know that how difficult to get into FTII because at a time I have applied to FTII and FTIT but it turned out only in the FTIT. I found that Iam really lucky to study in FTIT.

L.K.Keerthibasu

• 1 month later...
I understood. Iam a Final year student of Film and T.V Institute of Tamilnadu(FTIT),chennai. Currently Iam working as a apperentice in a Film lab and also as AC to a famous DP here.  Good Luck, I know that how difficult to get into FTII because at a time I have applied to FTII and FTIT but it turned out only in the FTIT.  I found that Iam really lucky to study in FTIT.

L.K.Keerthibasu

Hello Multi-Diasporic,

I want to take a filmmaking course with an ambition to become a Director.

I am working in USA on work permit for short term. So, I cannot plan to attend year long course

or go for a bachelors degree in film making etc. I found this course in NYFA (Newyork Film Academy) offering evening classes

for 3 months.. ( 3 evenings a week and weekends). Though this course schedules best suits my situation,

I am not sure how promising this NYFA course will.

Can you please advise if this is a good instistute?

Any comments and suggestion about FilmMaking course in NYFA?

I absolutely understand the point that attending a course cannot make a good director but it is one's creative talent that makes difference.

Having said that, do you think if this 3 months course is too short to learn any techniques in Film Making to be a director?

Would you suggest me any other film school?

Your advise will be of a great help to me.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

-Raj