Question about workflow on 24p w/FCP 4.5

Tim J Durham

• Premium Member

Hi,

Not sure where the best place for this sort of inquiry would be, but here goes:

I'm currently shooting a documentary with the Pana SDX-900 in 16:9 and at 24p (not 24pA).

A discussion arose about the show "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network and this is the look I was envisioning (motion-wise, it has nothing to do with food) but I am not what you'd call an "editor". None-the-less that function has been thrust upon me soooooo....

I was hoping someone could describe the settings I should be capturing in, editing in and outputting to, with the understanding that we want to be able to broadcast (so 60i), make a DVD

(30p) and maybe at some point do a film-out (24p).

First thing first, we need to make a master to show to PBS-types, so 60i, while retaining the 24p motion.

We will be attaching an SD-930 deck via firewire to my iMac G-5 with Final Cut 4.5HD and I took two FCP classes more than a year ago, but have done nothing since, so if anyone could give me some indication what my first move should be, (and subsequent moves) I would be most appreciative. Humbly, I thank you. I'm not good at this.

• Premium Member

This is a question for the Apple discussion forum.

You should be able to shoot 24p and use FCP's pulldown feature to transfer the footage to NTSC standards (60i). This should retain the 24p look in a 60i format. But you need to double check.

• Premium Member
This is a question for the Apple discussion forum.

You should be able to shoot 24p and use FCP's pulldown feature to transfer the footage to NTSC standards (60i). This should retain the 24p look in a 60i format. But you need to double check.

Thanks Drew,

I got some very comprehensive info from a couple guys on www.DVinfo.net. Remember 15 years ago when there was no internet (well, atleast not for the masses)? I'm not sure I'm any happier, but certainly am more easily informed.