PAL or NTSC?

zamzam

I am a video-filmmaker from Europe, currently living in the US for the next 3 or 4 years. I want to buy a Panasonic DVX100A but have had mixed advice about whether to go for the PAL or the NTSC version. I've heard PAL is better quality but want to know if its worth the hassle. How complicated/frustrating is it to work with PAL in the US (making DVDs, logging & capturing, screening on NTSC monitors, transfering, encoding...etc)? Would be very grateful for any advice/feedback. Cheers, Zam

• Premium Member
I am a video-filmmaker from Europe, currently living in the US for the next 3 or 4 years. I want to buy a Panasonic DVX100A but have had mixed advice about whether to go for the PAL or the NTSC version. I've heard PAL is better quality but want to know if its worth the hassle. How complicated/frustrating is it to work with PAL in the US (making DVDs, logging & capturing, screening on NTSC monitors, transfering, encoding...etc)? Would be very grateful for any advice/feedback. Cheers, Zam

Hi,

The Sony HDV Z1 can record both PAL & NTSC in DVCAM!

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Hi,

Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Many thanks for your reply. I just opted for the DVX100A because the image quality looked so much nicer - more 'film-like' on regular monitors/screens. How would you say the HDV Z1 compares, image-wise? Many thanks, Zam

• Premium Member

Hi,

Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Many thanks for your reply. I just opted for the DVX100A because the image quality looked so much nicer - more 'film-like' on regular monitors/screens. How would you say the HDV Z1 compares, image-wise? Many thanks, Zam

Hi,

The DVX is a good camera. The HDV Z1 looks cool in HDV! you should compare the cameras yourself. I used the Z1 as I had to shoot for am American Client NTSC. I thought the pictures were better than a PD150 if that helps.

Stephen