Full Sail Film school

Landon D. Parks

I was considering going to full sail film school this summer / fall... I know the topic has come up here before, but I thought I'd revive it in my honnor :lol: ...

I'm interested in going there to study in Directing... and to maybe get a entry / mid level job in the industry when I graduate... I was wondering what full sail is like... There equipment choice, student access to the film equipment, ect...

I was also wondering this: Is there program anything like NYFA, where will get a chance to direct and or DP there own feature film or short in 35mm, and if so, does the school pay for it or are you expected to seek outside financing...

Thanks guys!

Full Sail has been refered to by some on this board as, "Full Scam."

Then again there are those who have said good things about it.

If I where you I'd stick to a reputable program from a university where you can get a degree at the same time.

The degree will come in handy if you don't end up working in the film industry.

R,

After all I have read, this is not the school for me. I'm interested in going to school in hopes of actually Directing something before I leave... I understand the NYFA classes are short, but they do have one thing over full sail, everyone directors, dp's, and does assistant camera.

I was thinking about going to NYFA for the 1 week program (as an intro) then attneding there sync cound film class after the 1 week course (they require you take a smaller cours before the more advanced one).

I looked into film schools like AFI, NYU, ect... While they do have very good film schools (from what I can see) they are traditional 4 year colleges, and I'm not interested in putting 4 years into an education that I may never use. My main interest in going to school is not for the degree, but for the actual experiance of working on a filmset in several crew roles. I don't see a degree helping me much anyway, heck, Steven Spielberg :huh: dropped out of college! If your approaching the industry as a direct or DP, whats gonna get you the jobs more than a film degree is a good reel. Most people will want you to be smart in basic subject, but when it comes to filmmaking, I think most let a reel / resume speak for itself.

One thing I never did approave of film school on is this: From what I have heard they try to pound into your head how to make a movie, and whats the right and wrong to go about it... You can't teach somehow how to make a movie, if they have the want and the art inside them to do it, then it's already there.. If they don't then setting there telling someone how to direct a film is like telling it to a couch... I think thats one of the reason we have so many bad films today: Directors / DP's think that just because they are grads from film school that they are gods gift from movie heaven, and they have no talent.

The way I see it: If filmmaking fails, theres always real estate...

Just my ramblings...

PS) Thanks fot the links Brian...

• Premium Member
John a question for you: Does Kodak consider NYFA students available to receive discounts, ect?

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students...allowance.shtml

Discounts and rebates give you a break.

To make it easier and more affordable for up-and-coming filmmakers like you to practice your craft, the KODAK Educational Allowance Program offers significant price breaks on KODAK Motion Picture Films. The Program is open to students at participating motion picture film schools with four-year degree or accredited film production programs.

Qualifying students can purchase products through their film department or directly from Kodak. Student identification is required to participate.

So I don't think the one week program would qualify.

"My main interest in going to school is not for the degree, but for the actual experiance of working on a filmset in several crew roles."

I predict that if you maintain this view and go down this path, you will live to regret it.

I may be wrong, but the stats are well on my side.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both dropped out of university, and they are both billionaires, so I guess any one can do it?

Fact is the degree will help protect you from a life doomed to working in low paying Mc Jobs. You have no idea what the future holds and what paths you will need to go down, all one can do is prepare the best you can.

Unless you have a magic crystal ball where you see your life turning out exactly as you planned?

There are thousands of people who graduate from university every year who do not have wealthy parents, it can be done.

Also, when I was in university each class had 4-7 "adults" in it, ie people 35 years and up. Why? Because these where people being left behind in the work force, they where tired of seeing people younger than they where being promoted just because they had a university degree and they didn't.

You get to chatting with them and they always talk about how they wish they had gone to university in their early twenties.

Your choice of course.

R,

I don't think Full Sail is what they claim to be. Outside of a few choice programs most filmschools are complete duds. If you go, go for a film school that has a strong alumni networking system. NYU is an excellent choice.

as much as i think education is a great thing, careers seems to be built more on networks and chance then anything else. hell, i'm onto a ph.d and still stuck on the hand-to-mouth temp wheel...

but a degree in general is a good idea.

peace

jason

• Premium Member
I was considering going to full sail film school this summer / fall... I know the topic has come up here before, but I thought I'd revive it in my honnor  :lol: ... 

I'm interested in going there to study in Directing... and to maybe get a entry / mid level job in the industry when I graduate... I was wondering what full sail is like... There equipment choice, student access to the film equipment, ect...

I was also wondering this: Is there program anything like NYFA, where will get a chance to direct and or DP there own feature film or short in 35mm, and if so, does the school pay for it or are you expected to seek outside financing...

Thanks guys!

I think getting out of Indiana for the summer might be the best thing you could do for yourself.

Check this out:

http://www.theworkshops.com/filmworkshops/index.asp

These are very highly regarded (atleast in the East). A friend of mine took a lighting workshop and loved it. Very small classes so LOTS of hands-on experience. Classes are taught by industry pros and they also have guest lecturers.

They have a six-week immersion program that you'd probably consider to be exactly what you're after (don't know if you're old enough, though), plus, you can work on the campus if you need extra $$ while you're there.