Panavision and High Def

Damion

That I was not awareof...Thanks...I had only been aware of the pieces that Michael Mann and Rodreguez had used on their last films....

so another question(one that you might not be able to answer)

Does Panavision intend to do a lower budget camera?

Edited by Damion

Hey guys

Small question

Where is Panavision with regards to high Def...do they have a camera coming out in the future or is their head in the sand?

Panavision has a hi-def camera, the Genesis, currently being used to shoot the new Superman film. Styled and shaped very much like a Panavision film camera, with a Sony-designed hi-def tape drive taking the place of a film mag either atop the camera or at the back.

Go to the Panavision site to see it:

http://www.panavision.com/product_detail.p...de=c0,c203,c204

• Premium Member
Does Panavision intend to do a lower budget camera?

No, the Sony F900's will become their defacto "lower budget" HD camera now that they have the Genesis, but don't expect the rental prices on the F900 to drop much. There isn't an incentive at Panavision to make really cheap HD equipment because it takes mass production to lower the prices of an electronic device -- and movie cameras are sort of the opposite of that business model, very few are made per year and they are almost hand-built.

The Panasonic Varicam and Sony F900 will become the low-end of professional 24P HD as they get older (the first F900 came out five years ago remember); anything lower than that will either be even older 50i/60i pro HD equipment, or the new high-end consumer HD equipment, and you'd more likely find all of that at a video rental house rather than Panavision, which is still mainly a film rental house, and mostly 35mm at that.

Even now you can get really good deals on renting F900's at Panavision when they aren't all rented for multi-camera sitcom shooting during TV season.