Stills Photographer

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

After doing a bit of thinking, I wouldn't mind becoming a stills photographer for large film productions. I mean, I've been practicing photography for some time now, and I *think* I'm ready to start taking photo's for films.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to be asking this, but I didn't find much help at stillsphotographer.com !

How much does the job pay? Am I expected to bring my own equipment? And film?

Do large scale productions even hire dedicated stills photographers?

Thanks for ANY suggestions. I really am lost in this one.

Dan.

• Premium Member
After doing a bit of thinking, I wouldn't mind becoming a stills photographer for large film productions. I mean, I've been practicing photography for some time now, and I *think* I'm ready to start taking photo's for films.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to be asking this, but I didn't find much help at stillsphotographer.com !

How much does the job pay? Am I expected to bring my own equipment? And film?

Do large scale productions even hire dedicated stills photographers?

Thanks for ANY suggestions. I really am lost in this one.

Dan.

The behind the scenes section on the 28 Days Later DVD talks a bit about their stills photographer and gives a few good suggestions for the photographers. I could only assume that you would be working for a production under a contract basis meaning that more than likely you would need your own equipment and film.

The behind the scenes section on the 28 Days Later DVD talks a bit about their stills photographer and gives a few good suggestions for the photographers. I could only assume that you would be working for a production under a contract basis meaning that more than likely you would need your own equipment and film.

Oh right, I'll take a look at that. Tnx.

Actually I recently found a video clip on the production diary from "King Kong" 2005. Piere I think his name is (it sounds like that anyway). Really amazing work.

Reason I'm asking all this is because I recently applied for a contract on a short film as a stills photographer (Never done it before, wanted to give it a go)

So far, I have learn't the following (for anyone who's interested to read):

Wear dark clothes, black jeans and black shirt. That way you won't get noticed as much, plus you're wearing smart clothes so you're showing respect for your cast and crew, and you look more professional.

Don't get in the way.

Look around for different, interesting angles.

Always bring more film than you think you will need.

An ultra sonic zoom lens is advisable, very fast for focusing, and you will get a nice range of distances.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
Oh right, I'll take a look at that. Tnx.

Actually I recently found a video clip on the production diary from "King Kong" 2005. Piere I think his name is (it sounds like that anyway). Really amazing work.

Reason I'm asking all this is because I recently applied for a contract on a short film as a stills photographer (Never done it before, wanted to give it a go)

So far, I have learn't the following (for anyone who's interested to read):

Wear dark clothes, black jeans and black shirt. That way you won't get noticed as much, plus you're wearing smart clothes so you're showing respect for your cast and crew, and you look more professional.

Don't get in the way.

Look around for different, interesting angles.

Always bring more film than you think you will need.

An ultra sonic zoom lens is advisable, very fast for focusing, and you will get a nice range of distances.

Here's an article about doing that job:

http://www.shutterbug.com/features/1104sb_hollywood/

Shoot digital and get a camera blimp.