16mm BL Sync Problem?

Lav Bodnaruk

Hi,

I own a 16BL and have two, that's right, two different Sync Control Units, none of which are giving me the desired 25fps?

1.)

I have done up a diagram of what cable I am missing and need to reproduce, to make one of the SYNC motors work.... a wire diagram which outlines the colours of wires that are in the Sync Control Unit as well as in the Camera Battery Input - I guess I am asking if anyone in this forum can help me connect the dots? I am afraid of trying any further then this on my own as I might burn my BL, that is functioning perfectly on its original motor (24fps/25fps - vary, so I loose sync after approx 2min of constant dialogue)....

the SYNC motor in question is "Minilock A Precision Crustal Control" for Arrifles 16BL Serial No 72086 Made in Great Britain by Audio Engineering London.

2.)

My 2nd SYNC motor is also non functional. This one I got from eBay, in hopes I wouldnt have to re-build the cable for the above mentioned one but rather save time and money by purchosing another one - what a joke! This one doesnt work either! Now this is a "Multisync 505 Made in Denmark by Georg Jensen". When I connect it to a 12V battery it doent do anything. Its dead. I've opened it to find a lot of wires that were disconected. Since, I have been playing with it, trying to solder them togehter in their right places, playing with volt meter and resistance measurements in trying to figure out why there is still no power going through it, to the camera.

As I love my long dialogue scenes (shooting masters at least) and as I do own two different Sync Control Motors, I would love to get them activated. If you can help, please contact me on bodnaruk@bigpond.net.au

I will try and attach the picture of the diagram I drew up for the first mentioned sync motor and it's missing cable... But if unclear, please contact me and I will send you the actual photos of the camera and the sync motors.... I could send you photos of the inside of the 2nd Sync Motor if you think you know a bit about wires and could know what could be wrong from looking at it. :)

Thank You!

Lav Smile

http://www.lavproductions.com/pics/wire.jpg

[Hi

It's a long time since I touched a 16BL, when I worked for Samuelson Film Service

London there are 2 types of motor that go on the BL but you can only attach the sync controllers to the BLE type if you go to the Tobin site you will see what bits you need. The Audio Eng and the Jensen are just external sync boxes that control the motor failing that you can use a sync cable from the back of the camera.

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page13.html

Regards

Don

[Hi

It's a long time since I touched a 16BL, when I worked for Samuelson Film Service

London there are 2 types of motor that go on the BL but you can only attach the sync controllers to the BLE type if you go to the Tobin site you will see what bits you need. The Audio Eng and the Jensen are just external sync boxes that control the motor failing that you can use a sync cable from the back of the camera.

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page13.html

Regards

Don

Hi Don, thanks for your reply. Here I have attached the link with the photos of the actual add ons, as I do think they should function even without the Tobin... I mean, these add ons should give me the Sound Sync 25fps when functioning properly with a 12V battery.

Since posting the above question, I hava managed to make to my Jensen Add-on work, but only at the setting called "Constant". When it runs, if you look at the FPS on the camera meter it appears to be just a bit over 25fps. As a matter a fact, it appears to run at the exact same speed as it does without it (using just its standard BL motor)... Does this mean that I am no closer to sound syncing than I was before it all ? I am asking this as I have only ran film thourgh this camera without any add-ons and wish to make sure I will get 25fps before running any more film. (I am finding tests of Sound Sync expensive - as per buying a roll of film and all the teleciny and would rather save that money for the actual film shoot... hence why I might use my next camera test as a 'screen test' for actors :D )

Here are the actual photos-this sould clear it up a bit :D

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome, as I plan to shoot with this sometime soon and would like to get it up to speed. :huh:

Regards,

Lav

http://www.lavproductions.com/motor.htm

Hi guys!

Seeing that many folks are reading my POST, I have dedicated a small amount of web space to my problem that explains it in a detail. Don, another member of this forum, is currently helping me with it, and for that I am very greatful! I would like to include even more wire diagrams of the camera and the sync motor add-ons, for other users to benefit from... Here is the link:

http://www.lavproductions.com/motor.htm

Thanks!

Lav

bodnaruk@bigpond.net.au

Does this mean that I am no closer to sound syncing than I was before it all ?

Yes it does. If I remember correctly, "const." is doing nothing, it's like using camera without a sync box. "crystal" is for crystal sync only.