Hiya everyone, just joined the forum, great forum!

I am shooting a music video, top deck of a bus, at widest a two shot on the left hand side of the bus at the back, whilst the bus is moving.

I want to simulate as if the sun is low and coming in from the right hand side of the bus, but through tress, so there are shadows travelling across the faces.

The light has to be from the interior and also battery powered.

I was wondering about some sort of gobo which could simulate this and then if I used a jokerbug on the floor pointed into a mirror, to get a bit more distance, with a gobo inbetween.

Any thoughts on how this might be possible would be hugely appreciated!

all the best

Ruben

• Premium Member

Well, I suppose it's possible to battery power a 575W light, if that's the variant you're thinking of, but it'd be a reasonably big deal.

If you want to be able to see the entirety of the upper deck I would view this as entirely impractical without rigging outside the vehicle, but if it's just for a pair of people you might get away with it. I have some 150W CDM profiles which will project gobos and can (just about) be battery powered, so it does exist, but it wouldn't be anything like the level of real sunlight and you'd need lots of fill to bring up the rest of the interior.

The other thought is to video project it, although it can be difficult to make the light from a video projector render acceptably on camera, both because of colour and flicker.

P

• Premium Member

I think it would be very tricky to pull this off from inside the bus due to the lack of space. You could look into large LED panels that can be programmed with chase patterns via DMX. I don't know of any brands off the top of my head, but I'm sure they exist. Ask you gaffer or rental house for leads.

From outside the windows, you could look into creating a spinning mirror rig around a static light source, similar to a zoetrope. It would have to be safetied properly if the bus is moving.

The lowest tech solution would be to find a stretch of north-south road with actual trees on the west side and shoot it for real at sunset.