old Schneider lenses

Nico Hardy

Hello,

For an upcoming commercial I was interested in using and old set of Schneider cine lenses. Not sure, but they look like 40-50 years old Arri II types.

Besides the discomfort of no focus gears, tinny marks and using a bayo/PL adaptor, what can I expect from these lenses?

It's not a money consideration, since everything else is decently budgeted: good crew, Arri 435, lights, grip, etc.

Thank you.

• Premium Member

I did some tests years ago with the Schneider Xenon's and they looked fantastic - slightly softer in an organic way with some nice flares when shooting into sources. I've been looking for the right project to get them out, but still haven't managed.

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

Yes, some 1st AC don't like to try "other than standard" stuff, but a good AC + Gaffer will always enjoy helping you to make it more interesting.

Sometimes is just more fun to use equipment that is off the beaten path.

I love experimenting on commercials, just as long as deliver the goodies....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I love my Schnieders for shooting women's faces. The slightly reduced resolution delivers a softening effect right in the lenses' glass. It is difficult to describe why, but I like how they handle exposure extremes at the top and bottom of film latitude. The comprimise I find with them is that the image can have a "low budget" look to it. I don't know exactly why, but cheap lenses add their cheapness to the imagery. Not that the Schnieders aren't good. But, stacked up to modern, high quality lenses, the images they produce can look kinda'... well... cheap.