shooting film at night

I am planning on shooting at night in a rural setting. Because I'm shooting on film, I need to light it. Any suggestions for portable lighting? I also plan on shooting a long shot, which would expose my lights etc. ANy ideas for lighting from a distance at night? Any help is very appreciated!

• Premium Member

There's no low-budget solution to this -- either you can afford to light very large distances at night or you can't. It's just a matter of using really powerful lights way up in the air to simulate "moonlight", or creating pools of light from streetlamps that you've rigged brighter fixtures to, or have hidden them behind, or have them shining from directly above from a crane (and each streetlamp would need its own crane.)

There's a reason why low-budget films don't have wide shots at night in the middle of nowhere that are lit-up. Even an 18K HMI on a 100' Condor would only get you enough exposure for one street block's worth of distance.

back to the drawing board. thanks so much for the advice. JK

There's no low-budget solution to this -- either you can afford to light very large distances at night or you can't.  It's just a matter of using really powerful lights way up in the air to simulate "moonlight", or creating pools of light from streetlamps that you've rigged brighter fixtures to, or have hidden them behind, or have them shining from directly above from a crane (and each streetlamp would need its own crane.)

There's a reason why low-budget films don't have wide shots at night in the middle of nowhere that are lit-up.  Even an 18K HMI on a 100' Condor would only get you enough exposure for one street block's worth of distance.