Arri ST video tap off-centre and cuttting off frame.

James Malamatinas

I just finished a shoot with the Arri ST and we had an issue with the video tap.

We were shooting 2.39 and had a 2.39 ground glass in the camera - through the eyepiece everything was looking fine. The video tap however was transmitting an image that was cut off. The whole image appeared pushed to the right so that there was additional black to the left of the frame and the right hand of the frame was truncated - probably about 25% of the frame was missing. It was an issue that we were seeing on all monitors plugged in so I don't think it was monitor related. Does anyone have any ideas? I sadly didn't take a photo to illustrate the issue.

​Also, by accident we managed to access the video tap menu, something that we couldn't repeat when we wanted to try a reset of the tap. We were shooting at a weekend and the rental house was not open to troubleshoot. Perhaps if we'd have been able to access this we would have been able to try fixing it there.

I don't see why it should be relevant but we were also shooting a modified ST to shoot 3-perf.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Did your AC do a camera prep at the rental house? If so, was the same problem happening then? I think a full prep should have caught the issue.

Sounds like maybe the video tap had not been set to Super 35? Although 25% of the frame is a lot, much bigger than the difference between N35 and S35 centering. Or maybe the specs or internal settings on the tap needed to be adjusted somehow? Either way, it sounds like something that needed to be fixed by the rental house technicians, not something you could do in the field.

Thank you Satsuki. Unfortunately we did not get a chance to prep the ST - we had originally anticipated using the LT which we had spent prepping the day previously, however the steady test sent to the lab came back with issues and consequently the rental house swapped in the ST body as a replacement.

​The ground glass that came in the ST was incorrect though and set 1.78:1, so like you mention the video tap could also have been set incorrectly.