capture settings for 24p

siddharth diwan

i recently shot a film on canon xl1 frame rate mode i.e, 24p now i'm gonna edit it on a avid xpress pro, what i need to know is when i'll capture the footage do i need a canon xl1 only as a player or its the avid on which i have to work on certain settings. please let me know

Hello,

If you shot on an Xl-1 you didn't shoot 24p as the Xl-1 only shoots 30 frames and only has "frame" mode which emulates progressive scan but is NOT progressive scan. So if you shot on an Xl2 you may have shot 24p if so I think the only thing you need to do is select 24 frames NTSC project from the menu on your AVID, if I remember correctly this is one of the first menus that comes up when you start a new project. You can use the camera as a deck or you can use a mini-DV deck to import/export your footage.

Cheers.

Tomas.

Hello,

If you shot on an Xl-1 you didn't shoot 24p as the Xl-1 only shoots 30 frames and only has "frame" mode which emulates progressive scan but is NOT progressive scan. So if you shot on an Xl2 you may have shot 24p if so I think the only thing you need to do is select 24 frames NTSC project from the menu on your AVID, if I remember correctly this is one of the first menus that comes up when you start a new project. You can use the camera as a deck or you can use a mini-DV deck to import/export your footage.

Cheers.

Tomas.

won't i use pal 24p setting or 25p instead of ntsc because we do pal here in india.

and to confirm i used canonxl1 and according to you i can use any mini dv player to capture right. thanks a lot

Hello,

I assumed you were in America for some reason, I don't know what kind of system (PAL/NTSC) you guys use in India, but I know that if you used an XL1 you didn't shoot 24p (24 frames per second progressive scan) you may have shot 25 frames if you have a pal Xl1, in which case you should select 25 frames PAL from the first AVID menu when you start the new project. I have only worked with NTSC but you should still be able to use the Camera as a deck for importing/exporting.

Cheers.

Tomas.