Switar lenses - Need HELP

richard shpuntoff

I am trying to understand how to distinguish between the different kinds of Switar lenses on the used market.

Basically, I am looking for a good 25mm lens to use on a Kodak K100. My experiences so far have been renting a lens from DuAll in New York City last time I was there. The lens was marked "C Switar" and the results were great, but unfortunately they are selling it for US$ 450 which is much much more than I can afford. I had picked up another Switar lens only to later learn about the difference between lenses designed for reflex and non-reflex Bolexes. The back end was too long for the K100. The strange thing is that the "C Switar" was not marked "RX" like all other reflex lenses that I have seen and I have not come across another lens like it.

So here are the questions:

1. Is the Switar the best quality 25mm C-mount lens I will find?

2. Should any lens that doesn´t have too much threading work fine on my K100 if the lens is collimated to the camera?

3. Where can I find out about the history of these lenses to be able to distinguish between the different types if I am trying to buy one, relatively cheaply on-line?

Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

Richard

Edited by shpunter

You should avoid RX lenses.

RX lenses have specific correction for the Bolex prism. Since your camera has no prism, the optical system of RX lenses is not designed for your camera.

The earlier series of Switar lenses, type AR (antireflection) will work well.

In a 25mm lens, however, you have many options.

In the 50's and 60's, Nikon and Canon made 25mm C-mount lenses. Both represent good choices.

Switar AR lenses show up from time to time on eBay. They do have an excellent reputation.

Robert,

Thanks for the information. One probably I had with some of the earlier lenses is that the back part extendeds too much beyond the threading and it won´t fit my Kodak K100. Is there anyway to know by the lens name or serial number how long the back part will be? Also, I found a very good lens that is too expensive for me and it was marked "C Switar." Do you know anything about this series? Is it different from other Switar lenses that don´t have the C as a prefix?

Richard

RX lenses have specific correction for the Bolex prism. Since your camera has  no prism, the optical system of RX lenses is not designed for your camera.

In the 50's and 60's, Nikon and Canon made 25mm C-mount lenses. Both represent good choices.

Switar AR lenses show up from time to time on eBay. They do have an excellent reputation.

Robert,

Thanks for the information. One problem I had with some of the earlier lenses is that the back part extendeds too much beyond the threading and it won´t fit my Kodak K100. Is there anyway to know by the lens name or serial number how long the back part will be? Also, I found a very good lens that is too expensive for me and it was marked "C Switar." Do you know anything about this series? Is it different from other Switar lenses that don´t have the C as a prefix?

Richard

RX lenses have specific correction for the Bolex prism. Since your camera has  no prism, the optical system of RX lenses is not designed for your camera.

You might want to try the Angenieux 25mm f/1.4 lens. The one I have works on my Filmo and takes sharp clear images. I've never done an A/B with it versus a Switar, but have been happy with results so far. Also look at the TT&H / Cooke Ivotal 25mm.

Edited by Robert Hughes