Stella

Alexis Hanawalt

I watched the season premier of Comedy Central's "Stella" and I couldn't place what they shot it on. It looks a LOT better than most shows of the sort. I was expecting another cheapo DV look, but it's got really sharp edges and a filmic depth of field. Does anyone know or have a guess as to what they were shooting on? I want to guess HDV, but I've never seen HDV broadcast as SD looking so good.

I doubt it's HDV because last I heard, there are no US broadcasters that will accept HDV-originated footage.

I saw a few minutes as well, and it looked to me like HD or really good SD.

• Premium Member
I doubt it's HDV because last I heard, there are no US broadcasters that will accept HDV-originated footage.

I saw a few minutes as well, and it looked to me like HD or really good SD.

At least a few seconds of a recent episode of the show "JAG" were shot with Sony's Z1 HDV camcorder, so there seems to be some leeway concerning what can and can't be shown.

I suspect (TV broadcasting business) politics and money, and/or technical and artistic competence, have something to do with it.

I haven't seen the "Stella" show myself, so can't comment on that.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member

The HDV as well as the HD footage shot for Jag was shot by Jodi Eldred, we transfered all the HDV footage to HDCAM using an F500 deck, so the final tape was an HDCAM tape.

The best way to find out what it's shot on is to find out what production company shoots the show and give them a call.

So much television material is shot on Mini-DV - why would they take issue with downconverted HDV? It would only be better. Reno 911, Judge Judy, Wild Boyz, and even some of the segments for The Daily Show originate on Mini-DV.

• 4 weeks later...