dump for 30p

siddharth diwan

recently i shot a film on canonxl1 30p which i captured on avid with 25p settings now that the editing part is finished i want to take a dump on a dv but the problem i'm facing is that i dont get any output on the camera LCD, do i need to change my settings because i get output when i change it to 30i or do i need to hire a canon xl1 again to take the dump.

can i use a canon xl2 for dump and use the frame rate mode to take the dump and take it as 24p will it make any differene, if yes would that be for good or not?.

thanks a lot

• Premium Member

Remember that a DV camera can only record either NTSC (60i) or PAL (50i) depending on the camera, so that's what you would have to send out to it. If you really edited something as 25P, then you'd have to convert it to 50i and get a PAL VTR to record it to. Or treat it as 24P, add a 3:2 pulldown to convert to 60i, and record it to an NTSC VTR.

• Premium Member
Remember that a DV camera can only record either NTSC (60i) or PAL (50i) depending on the camera, so that's what you would have to send out to it. If you really edited something as 25P, then you'd have to convert it to 50i and get a PAL VTR to record it to. Or treat it as 24P, add a 3:2 pulldown to convert to 60i, and record it to an NTSC VTR.

That's right. And I've never heard of a print to tape being called "take a dump." I'll have to use that from time to time. :)

• Premium Member
i shot it on pal but used the frame rate mode that is 30p on canonxl1 and captured it on 25p settings, what do i do for the final output on a minidv what camera and settings do i opt for

A PAL Canon XL1 can't shoot at 30P. In fact, a Canon XL1 can't shoot progressive-scan ("P") period, it shoots "frame mode", wherein it creates a progressive-scan look by dropping a field and doubling the remaining one (more or less - it does some other things too.)

Therefore the 60i NTSC Canon XL1 can shoot a fake 30P and the 50i PAL Canon XL1 (called the XM1?) can do a fake 25P.

Of course, you could treat 30P or 25P as 24P if editing if you can live with the speed change (converting 25P tro 24P is easy, but 30P played at 24P looks slow-motion.)

Either way, the camera can only record 60i if it's the NTSC version or 50i if it's the PAL version, so that's what you have to create from your master in your editing system before you send it back out to a camera acting as a record deck.

• Premium Member
Of course, you could treat 30P or 25P as 24P if editing if you can live with the speed change (converting 25P tro 24P is easy, but 30P played at 24P looks slow-motion.)

If you choose the wrong settings in FCP it won't play the footage in slow mo. What it'll do is drop frames every so often. I tried capturing XL1s footage at 30p once when I first started using that camera and that's what happened. At the time the only literature I could find from Canon said that the camera shot 30p in frame mode. So that's what I used to edit, and there was obviously something wrong with that. Sid, what you need to do is reconnect everything at 29.97 fps and readjust all your sequences to 29.97 fps and then print to tape.