DO NOT DISCARD A NON WORKING CANON 814 E OR 1014 AUTO

I have been repairing and restoring Canon branded super 8 and 16mm cameras for almost a decade. Having grown up shooting surfing and skateboard events in Southern California and being short of "Extra Cash" I found that repairing my own cameras was the way to go. Now some 3o years later I have this as a hobby and have the means for a shop in my home. The repair manuals and the internet were not available back in the day

So why the title?

I see too many people give up on Canon 814 Electronics and 1014 Autos, both using the magnetic release shutters and they simply should not be selling them as parts or retiring them to a box in their attics.

If the battery compartment is clean and the cameras auto zoom and auto exposure is working but the shutter is not, most likely the switch that engages the contact that initiates the magnetic release. These cameras can be used by permanently closing the mag release and bypassing the switch altogether. Most people do not have a second camera for parts so this is the easiest way to keep using these cameras.

So how do I use the Super this way?

The on/off dial becomes your shutter on off trigger. You still will have to pull the trigger however to engage auto exposure. The user simply changes the way they would normally use a camera fully functioning.

I have how to’s on the Yola site for the entry level Canons, Gareth’s online tutorials helped me early on before I started diving in on my own, There are many that owe him a thank you! I am currently taking off the entire lens housing to expose the relay lens and diaphragm blades for repair and re-lubrication. These cameras were made so well and were made to be easily repaired, unlike their Nikon counterparts.

Cheers!

Kirk

• 4 months later...

Hi!

Would you be willing to share more info about this? My 1014 is currently open because I was trying to fix the squealing (unsuccessful so far) and generally cleaning and lubing. Over about 15-20 presses of the trigger it started sticking on. Now it does it almost all the time. Even with the remote and the dial set on RL, as soon as I push the button it comes on and stays on, even in 1 frame mode.

Could you tell me more about this switch? Where it is, what it looks like, how to get at it, etc. I fell like this should be fixable, although it may be tough to get at. But if I know more about it maybe I can do it. I've done a fair bit of electronics work so I'm fairly confident about this.

Thanks very much!

Scott

• 2 months later...