F0.7 Lenses

Jeremy Russell

I read a post awhile back about some f0.7 lenses available, possibly in europe? Has anyone actually shot with these, and are they even possible to run on say a panavision or aaton 35 camera? I was discussing this idea with my DP, and we are in agreement that we want to use them for a commercial. Is it even logistical to attempt it?

Anyone with any knowledge in this area that can help would be great, and I thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Jeremy Russell

I read a post awhile back about some f0.7 lenses available, possibly in europe? Has anyone actually shot with these, and are they even possible to run on say a panavision or aaton 35 camera?  I was discussing this idea with my DP, and we are in agreement that we want to use them for a commercial. Is it even logistical to attempt it?

Anyone with any knowledge in this area that can help would be great, and I thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Jeremy Russell

you might want to contact the people that have them:

http://www.joedunton.com/

it does say "available for selected projects" so I guess they will not rent them out to anyone for any project.

JD

• Premium Member

As far as I know, only Kubrick had a couple of f/0.7 Zeiss 50mm lenses (some were converted to other focal lengths using adaptors) -- I saw one of his lenses at JDC when I was there two weeks ago. It can only go on an adapted rackover (non-reflex) Mitchell, which JDC also has. HUGE rear element, almost as big as the front element.

You'd be better off finding some f/1.0 50mm lenses, which are much more common and can be used on any camera.

• Premium Member

JDC are renting out a 35mm, 50mm and 85mm F 0.7 lens. But you can only use them on the modified Mitchel camera.

They'll rent them out for any project, as long as you pay. I don't think camera rental companies can afford to only rent out to films that they deem worthy...