Influence of films on the realm of man...

Jonathan Spear

"""Sorry, but this assertion that animals have morals, and humans do not, is just so much warm & fuzzy fantasizing from several generations of us having grown up watching Bambi and countless Disney cartoons that make animals out to be cute, loving, peaceful creatures.

Just 'aint so."""

Human nature also works on the basis of predator/prey.

Have and have-nots. Animals don't have morals but their embedded instincts, in my opinion, are noble. And I wouldn't call mating in the animal kingdom "rape". It's more like a game.

As for that hike in the Sierra mountains (with my good luck ham)... trust me Matt... I'd feel safer there than I would in Iraq right now. At least bears won't kidnap me and, while I'm still alive, saw my head off with a rusty kitchen knife because "God" told them too.

If a bear devours me, well, then it's my fault for being stupid enough to go there in the first place. That's nature.

"""Agreed.

But my point was, we hear so much about all the evil "crazy religious people" has done throughout history (which I'm not saying I disagree with), when in fact "crazy atheists" have killed FAR more people with their misguided ideology."""

It's not really about religion or religious people.

I think David nailed it. It's about people in general, bad decisions and bad behaviour... EXTREME behaviour.

For example, let's say that you've been dating this girl for 2 years and all of a sudden, out of the blue, you catch her making out or worse with some other guy.

There are so many ways to deal with a situation like that.

There are some people out there that will cry and go seek psychological comfort.

Some people would beat the $h-t out of the dude she was messing with and there are some people on this planet that would literally torture and kill their girlfriends if they ever cought them cheating on them because they don't have the key to human evolution - SELF CONTROL.

".... For example, let's say that you've been dating this girl for 2 years and all of a sudden, out of the blue, you catch her making out or worse with some other guy.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Actually, I had been with her for 5 years, and I walked in her with a guy on top of her, going full on...

I just turned and walked out.

I'm not a violent person, and even if I were, I've never understood this "kicking the guys ass" bit, when the guy might not even know the girl had a boyfriend, and I won't hit a girl, so... what can you do?

I figured she wasn't worth me doing anything about it, if she could do that... IN MY LIVING ROOM, NO LESS!

Anyway, yeah I think we're in agreement; people are animals, some of us are civilized, some are not.

I just hope someday that civilization will advance to the point where it will be rare behavior for people to do harm to others, but it's not looking very likely.

MP