Black Pro-Mist Filters

cinemajoe

I've seen some brief discussion here about the Tiffen Black Pro-Mist Filters. When referred to, the filter strenth is numerated in 1/2, 1/4, full, etc. as it commonly is for square filters/gels. I am trying to outfit a mini-dv camera with one of these filters and on most every sales site, the filter strength for 49mm rounded threaded filters is only numerated in grades 1-5. I'm assuming "1/8" strength on a square filter could mean "1" on the rounded but I'm not sure. Any insight?

Here's a link to b&h's site selling the "1" through "3" strength filters: click me

• Premium Member
I've seen some brief discussion here about the Tiffen Black Pro-Mist Filters. When referred to, the filter strenth is numerated in 1/2, 1/4, full, etc. as it commonly is for square filters/gels. I am trying to outfit a mini-dv camera with one of these filters and on most every sales site, the filter strength for 49mm rounded threaded filters is only numerated in grades 1-5. I'm assuming "1/8" strength on a square filter could mean "1" on the rounded but I'm not sure. Any insight?

Here's a link to b&h's site selling the "1" through "3" strength filters: click me

Check their website:

http://tiffen.com/Header_page_tiffen_filters.htm

I believe you can buy straight from Tiffen and with the 49mm, it could be that B&H just doesn't carry the whole range. A Black Pro Mist #1 should be the same no matter what size you buy.

I suspect they are available in fractionals for the 49mm size but check the website.

• Premium Member
one of the first sites i looked up was tiffen, thinking i could buy direct. fact is, they just refer to third party dealers which puts me back to square one...

OK, Call them"

1-631-273-2500

and ask them if what you want is available and where to get it.

in the past, i've been completely shocked at how knowledgeable the phone reps at B&H are, so they might be able to answer your question.

one note about the pro-mist filters... people tend to really love them or be really dissappointed by them, with not much in between. i'd suggest trying to find a place that rents them if you haven't tried them out before. if you're in LA, then you should be able to find a place no problem, and they'll probably be able to give you a good rundown on the pros and cons of them.

hope this helps,

jaan

Personally I think even #1 is too much for mini-DV cameras, but maybe that's just me.

I've used 1/8, or 1/4, or both.

YMMV but I wouldn't lock myself into the 1 - 5 range.

I can't imagine a #5 BPM on a 1/3" camera, well a #5 WPM might give you look of a steambath without the condensation issues on the tape heads B)

-Sam

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Conversely, does a 1/8 even read on a DV camera?  Anybody done any tests with DV, HD, or HDV?

Michael

I've been using a 1/4 BPM on my XL-2 and I like the way it takes the edge off. I also have a 1/2 BPM but that's a little too dreamy. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a 1/8 instead of the 1/2 and probably would keep it on most of the time. I think a slight amount of diffusion helps any video picture.

• Premium Member
The #1 ProMist is the same in all lines; it's just that the professional market tends to demand even lighter ones, hence #1/8, etc., whereas the consumer market just gets the basic #1-#5.

Oh, Lord. I didn't know there was anything past a #1. Is a #5 just a black lens cap? :P