Frame Rate in Premiere

Guest nerv Liutenant

Guest nerv Liutenant

I'll be shooting my next feature with th dvx100a, in 24p advanced mode. My question is: when i capture in premiere, should I set the capture video to exactly 24fps capture or 23.97 capture? i dont want discrepencies in post, so I thought I'd just ask if anyone has had experience with it.

I'll be shooting my next feature with th dvx100a, in 24p advanced mode. My question is: when i capture in premiere, should I set the capture video to exactly 24fps capture or 23.97 capture? i dont want discrepencies in post, so I thought I'd just ask if anyone has had experience with it.

Remeber, it's 24p embedded in NTSC 29.97 video. Premiere Pro 1.5 has a project preset called Panasonic 24p for this. Use that preset, and it should auto-detect how to capture the video, and drop the extra frame on the fly when you place the footage into a timeline. It will also default to output 24pA when you Export/Movie.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> It will also default to output 24pA when you Export/Movie.

...although that probably isn't what you want if you're exporting a 24p project for NTSC viewing, in which case conventional 3:2 pulldown will look smoother.

Phil

Hi,

> It will also default to output 24pA when you Export/Movie.

...although that probably isn't what you want if you're exporting a 24p project for NTSC viewing, in which case conventional 3:2 pulldown will look smoother.

Phil

Or, output an uncompressed AVI at 24p (23.976, actually) for your final output, and encode that to a 24p DVD, for best results.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Then you'll have a normal NTSC timeline, and it should cut fine, but you'll need to look into some external convertor to get your 24p stream out of your exported 24pA movie. An AVIsynth script could do it.

Phil

What if i happen to be working in premiere 6.5 without that particular preset?

If you are already in the midst of your project in a normal NTSC 29.97 timeline, you're in big trouble, since your 24pA drop-frames are likely mixed up all over the place. You won't be able to remove them later if you've already made some cuts. You probably need to ditch the project and start a new one with the right settings. :(

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well, don't panic quite yet - there's some very clever ITK filters out there for things like AVIsynth and Virtualdub which will look at frames intelligently and give you a 24p stream out of 3:2 or 24pA.

Phil