fisheye lens suggestions/experience?

Jaan Shenberger

it looks like i might be shooting some projects for a company that builds custom dome motion displays (kinda like a small planetarium). if so, they'll be shot on 35mm for a 4k scan and will ultimately be projected large and in close proximity to its viewers, so image quality will be paramount.

does anyone have any suggestions on specific fisheye/short lenses (irregardless of camera)? if it matters, softness would be more acceptable than color aberration.

thanks,

jaan

I've used the Peleng 8mm on my Nikon still camera to good effect, and I know there are lots of people who have used them for motion picture photography, but I haven't yet.

They're cheap, pretty sharp lenses.

You can usually find them new selling on ebay from people who sell Russian stuff.

MP

• Premium Member
I've used the Peleng 8mm on my Nikon still camera to good effect, and I know there are lots of people who have used them for motion picture photography, but I haven't yet.

They're cheap, pretty sharp lenses.

You can usually find them new selling on ebay from people who sell Russian stuff.

MP

Hi,

I have a Pelling 8mm in PL mount. Optically Its OK but the mechanically its very poor. Covers 1:1.85 OK but will vingnette on full frame S35

Cheers

Stephen

i actually have the 8mm peleng (for my K3), though i've yet to use it... i had a chance to get it for really cheap and couldn't pass it up.

but has anyone worked with more expensive glass in the fisheye range? to be frank, i don't even know what options there are and just was hoping to get any insight before calling rental houses.

thanks for the responses,

jaan

Hi,

I have a Pelling 8mm in PL mount. Optically Its OK but the mechanically its very poor. Covers 1:1.85 OK but will vingnette on full frame S35

Cheers

Stephen

Edited by jaan

The Zeiss 10mm Distagon is the sharpest/widest I have seen. I wouldn't use the Peleng for anything serious, it has pretty low res. when tested against any cine lenses and serious chromatic problems toward the edges on a 35mm frame (It's okay, but not what I would call high-end). Visual Products used to have a Zeiss 10mm for sale.

• 4 weeks later...