ETERNA 500T

Guest jeremy edge
Maybe I'm interpreting this thread incorrectly, but did you mention that you were exposing at 250ISO for a 500T stock, and sometimes when your meeter would read 11 or 16 you would set the fStop to 8?  At that point you are three stops OVER exposed, and while the grain problmes of overexposure aren't as dramatic as they are with underexposure, is it possible that you consistently overexposed and that caused the grain?

The footage looks more underexposed than overexposed, but a lot can be done with either phenomenon in telecine to correct to closer to normal and make it harder to judge where it went rong, and from the way you describe it that seems like a more likely error that you are over.

I mean, if it's hot enough in your shooting space that you are close to passing out, and you're rolling 500T, you might have too much light.

chuck haine

That's a very good possibility. Although i've heard of people rating vision 2 for overexposure ..it could be that we have too much for the fuji.We were trying to rate it as 250 asa for a 1 stop overexposure. (I hope thats right!)

Im having someone look at the negative to try to get to the bottom of it.Ernie at movielab processed it so he's going to have a look at the negative and see how it lights up. he thinks we probably had enough light based on my detailed rundown of what we used. He also thinks some of the dust seen in some of the interior shots could have lowered our contrast and resulting in more visible grain.Both movielab and fsft have been helpful about answreing questions and helping me learn to shoot better.I can give both facilities huge props for that.

I think some of the long trips the film made and some of the july heat in general could have also not been kind to the film.

i'll know more this week.

Guest jeremy edge

Update:

I sent the negative back to movielab and had them put it on their rank.They said most of the footage lights up flat for a pretty dead on exposure.they also didnt see a lot of grain that was evident in the transfer from the other lab.Possibly the problem is how the color correction was done.They are doing me a straightforward transfer with simple color correction so I can see what the footage looks like flat.

• 3 months later...

I just tested the Eterna500T 16mm. I was shooting available light night exterior with a small fill from a sun gun. Rated it for 400 and pushed two stops. The grain increased slightly, but I really liked it. Compared to the Fuji demo reel I perfer it pushed. It had decent contrast and the blues from the store front neon lights poped nicely but were a bit of distraction to the eye.