Respooling 400ft of 16mm

Guest morris milne

Guest morris milne

Hi folks,

Hope this question is in the correct forum.

I have a Beaulieu R16 and i got hold of 400ft of Fuji Eterna 500. My questions are... will this film work ok in this camera? and if so... what advice can you guys give me about what i would need to respool in to 4x100ft for the R16... or do you know of anyone in the UK who might do it for me?

Thanks.

Morris Milne

Scotland, UK

• Premium Member
Hi folks,

Hope this question is in the correct forum. 

I have a Beaulieu R16 and i got hold of 400ft of Fuji Eterna 500.  My questions are... will this film work ok in this camera? and if so... what advice can you guys give me about what i would need to respool in to 4x100ft for the R16... or do you know of anyone in the UK who might do it for me?

Thanks.

Morris Milne

Scotland, UK

Hi,

Ask your lab, they will probably let you do that yourself! They may not want to do it for you in case of any problems.!

Stephen

Either that, or you need to get a set of rewinds, some empty 100ft daylight spools, and a completely dark room.

The important thing to remember if you do this, is that first you wind from the 400 ft to another 400ft reel, THEN to the 100ft reels, otherwise your perfs will be on the wrong side, and you'll end up shooting upside down/through the base, and will get this hideous red footage that is referred to on other posts here.

In other words, be really careful to make sure you have the emulsion going the right way through the camera (been there, done that)

Matt Pacini

Guest morris milne
Either that, or you need to get a set of rewinds, some empty 100ft daylight spools, and a completely dark room.

Matt Pacini

Thanks for both replies gents... but i like this DIY option... can you tell me more about "...set of rewinds" what is this exactly... so i know what to look/ask for.

Regards

Morris

Scotland.

Rewinds are thigns that you use for editing, etc.

Basically, it holds the reel of film, has handlees on them that you wind by hand.

Go to ebay and type in 16mm rewinds, and I'm sure many will pop up.

You can get 100ft daylight spools on ebay too.

I've got a zillion of them I'm going to be selling pretty soon.

MP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

When respooling film, these are things you must pay attention to:

1. Use a totally DARK darkroom. Let your eyes accomodate to the dark, and be sure there are NO visible light leaks. Watch out for things like the LED on your cellphone, or an illuminated wristwatch.

2. Use a CLEAN darkroom. Dust and dirt during rewinding can become a hair in the gate problem.

3. Control static, which can cause marks on the film. Maintain a moderate humidity level (ideally about 50%). Electrically ground your rewinds. Ground yourself with conductive shoes or an anti-static wrist band. Wind slowly. Handle film carefully, and by the edges only. Never rub the image area of the film during winding.

4. For spools, gently guide the film back and forth so it contacts both flanges of the spool. If there is a gap between the roll and spool flange, any light during loading could cause edgefog. For cores, use a "tightwind" (undercut "builder" roller) or gently guide the film against one flange to get a really flat roll.

5. Pay attention to winding orientation.

6. Keep notes of any rewinding as part of the production log. Let the lab know there was manual winding of the film, so they can be on the lookout for any problem.

Thanks for both replies gents... but i like this DIY option... can you tell me more about "...set of rewinds"  what is this exactly... so i know what to look/ask for.

Regards

Morris

Scotland.

I just bought these on ebay. Take a look and you'll see what rewinds are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Tom Ballard