Cinelab

Guest Andy Kugler

Guest Andy Kugler

Has anyone used Cinelab in MA for transfers? The transfers I've seen from them are pretty impressive. Any other suggestions of where to have Vision2 200T and 500T transfered?

Guest Andy Kugler

What type of transfer system do they us..Is it a "Rank Telecine" or a projecter and video cam setup..I checked there web site but it doesn't clearly state the type of system they use.

[/quot

They use two Rank Cintel telecine machines, one of which is a turbo.

Color correction can be done on either a Dubner or a Sunburst color.

Their color correction system is low end compared to other places I've used. Do they offer transfers using the better Digital DaVinci Renaissance and Power Windows?

What type of gate is used for their super 8? The worst is a converted 16mm gate (incorrect optics). A rank made super 8 gate would rate second best. The V3 gate would be the very best.

Ranks themselves are not very expensive these days. It is their upgrades, the gear used with them and the colorist that makes the magic. This is where the big money is spent and why prices can vary (sometimes). Too bad it is so difficult to sort out those who truly over charge from the ones who really offer a great deal. Or, the ones who are operating with low end equipment from the ones who really put together a great system with a talented colorist.

The price seems to be on par with the level of equipment Cinelab is using. Not fantastic, but, good for rough dailies. Unfortunately, I can not pay for the luxury of dailies in super 8.

Cinelab is not the place for me, but, I'll keep them on file just in case. ;)

Edited by Mike Crane

Has anyone used Cinelab in MA for transfers? The transfers I've seen from them are pretty impressive. Any other suggestions of where to have Vision2 200T and 500T transfered?

Yes, I used them. Wasn't impressed at all. I paid for scene by scene correction and they gave me garbage - looked like they didn't even set the printer lights properly for a best light, let alone correct scene by scene. When I emailed them about the poor results and requested a refund, they didn't even respond. They corresponded plenty before taking my money, but now that it's in the pocket they're mute.

I also wasn't impressed with their turnaround. It took them three days to process neg that they promised in 2 days (their website also said 1-2 days), and I doubt they would have finished my telecine on schedule if I hadn't shown up a little early to wait for it - I ended up staying an hour after their closing time, which was an hour and a half after the scheduled pickup time. Getting them to commit to a date/time was like pulling teeth, and I got the impression I was inconveniencing them by expecting them to meet that deadline (and I wasn't insisting on a specific date, I just wanted to know when to pick it up). When I called to see if the telecine was on schedule, the guy said 'Oh, sh@# , looks like we're not leaving early today.' <_< Not very professional.