Bolex Viewfinder 13 vs 10

Steven Budden

I'm wondering how much brighter the 13 x viewfinder is than the 10? When I went up from the 6x I was happy but even the 10x is dark stopped down. Anyone have experience with the x13 that can shed a little light on whether the upgrade is worth the cash?

Thanks!

Steven

I'm wondering how much brighter the 13 x viewfinder is than the 10? When I went up from the 6x I was happy but even the 10x is dark stopped down. Anyone have experience with the x13 that can shed a little light on whether the upgrade is worth the cash?

Thanks!

Steven

The 13x finder is slightly better (maybe brighter), but I wouldn't advise an upgrade. Bolex VFs are what there are, and upgrades or aftermark conversions cannot do much to help that. Sometimes with the Bolex you need to rely more on measurement than your eye to focus as the groundglass can make it hard to determine critical focus.

What Bolexs have over most cameras, as you know, is portability, as well as the ability to perform in-camera effects. They are not well known for the VFing system.

Alain

The 13x finder is slightly better (maybe brighter), but I wouldn't advise an upgrade. Bolex VFs are what there are, and upgrades or aftermark conversions cannot do much to help that. Sometimes with the Bolex you need to rely more on measurement than your eye to focus as the groundglass can make it hard to determine critical focus.

What Bolexs have over most cameras, as you know, is portability, as well as the ability to perform in-camera effects. They are not well known for the VFing system. 

Alain

That helps.

One more question for you in terms of in camera effects... the variable fader... does that drastically increase the ability to do in camera effects? Also, does it need to be installed by a camera tech or just screwed in?

Thanks

Steven

That helps.

One more question for you in terms of in camera effects... the variable fader... does that drastically increase the ability to do in camera effects? Also, does it need to be installed by a camera tech or just screwed in?

Thanks

Steven

Are you referring to the rex-o-fader? The auto fader that mounts on the side?

Alain